HELP! Understanding the custom fermentable option

OkanaganMike

Trial Member
Reaction score
HELP!!! I'm in a jam and can't figure out what is going wrong. I recently bought a bag of Rahr 2 row malt which comes from the Alix malthouse in Alberta. The item isn't on the pull down menu so I added it to the custom fermentable with the ppg, L and DP numbers which are very close to the stats using the stock Canadaian - Pale malt in the system.

The problem occurs when I sub out the pale malt for the Rahr and suddenly the OG shoots up from 1.068 to 1.090 with only 1 extra ppg (37 vs 36).

Anyone else experience this? Is it not taking the efficiency into consideration? I want to brew today but am really nervous now not understanding what is going on with the math.

After posting this freak out, I decided to go and make all the numbers match that of the pale ale and it still changed everything. I finally noticed I had not checked a box about mashing the grain. Not sure what or how this works, all I know that when I checked it and reset the proper numbers to the Rahr 2 row, everything fell in place. Tried to delete the above thread but couldn't so I humbly post the solution to my bumbling here.

In the future just choose "American Pale 2 Row" and that will cover Briess, Rahr and most other two row base malts.

HTH

Weird, I've honestly just picked the closest available option historically.

Back