My other hobby . . .

I ride and wrench motorbikes personally. I'm far from a pro at it but I can do the basics and with the help of some good friends we do everything short of an engine rebuild right now. But the one buddy is transitioning from a welder to a heavy duty mechanic so hopefully we'll be able to do that too soon enough.

Ive been making yogurt lately using stc to keep a water bath at 43c for yogurt fermentation results are good i recon it helps with the beer bloat too...o_O

I make soap, and lots of it. I also hunt and fish and do other 'foraging' type of things like collect mushrooms. I make wine from fruits I grow, or that I find wild. I do non-motorized water sports as well as relax on my pontoon boat too. I"m pretty busy, come to think of it!

I've always been interested in wood working, but don't have the tools or the knowledge so I'm jealous of those who do have that ability!
Hey Yooper, you sell the soap? Also, what does “HM” on the plate stand for?

Hey Yooper, you sell the soap? Also, what does “HM” on the plate stand for?

No, I don't sell anything at all. I give it away- then it's a hobby and not a "job". I make tons of it, including tallow soap. For the tallow soap, I shot a deer with my bow and it was really really fat (eating corn at a farm I guess) and so I rendered the fat and made such great soap that I always do that when I get a deer or my husband does.

HM BREW= Homebrew We can't have 8 letters on a plate, and Homebrw looked even weirder!

I make soap, and lots of it. I also hunt and fish and do other 'foraging' type of things like collect mushrooms. I make wine from fruits I grow, or that I find wild. I do non-motorized water sports as well as relax on my pontoon boat too. I"m pretty busy, come to think of it!

I've always been interested in wood working, but don't have the tools or the knowledge so I'm jealous of those who do have that ability!
I'm jealous of the foraging thing. I always wanted to find mushrooms. I found a morel growing in the flower bed the other day and I ate it. I didn't have to share because my wife was too chicken LOL.

Fig jam coming soon. Headed up to red bluff to pick a mess of them this weekend. Grama has a walnut orchard up there that she has had since 1951. She is 104 years old and still lives there. Just try to get her to leave (hint . . . I tried)

Ive been making yogurt lately using stc to keep a water bath at 43c for yogurt fermentation results are good i recon it helps with the beer bloat too...o_O
I make yogurt too with a sous vide. God I love yogurt and fruit for breakfast. Sous vide and a gallon pickle jar. Heat the milk to 180 then cool it down in a water bath to 110. pitch a good yogurt in there (two tablespoons of a good culture) then sous vide overnight. Strain with a mesh bag. yummmmmm. Pickles coming soon. I make Sauerkraut and kimchee too :)

I make yogurt too with a sous vide. God I love yogurt and fruit for breakfast. Sous vide and a gallon pickle jar. Heat the milk to 180 then cool it down in a water bath to 110. pitch a good yogurt in there (two tablespoons of a good culture) then sous vide overnight. Strain with a mesh bag. yummmmmm. Pickles coming soon. I make Sauerkraut and kimchee too :)
Sweet i make mine in a slow cooker regulated with STC 1000 temp contoller to 43c it swings up to 45c but still within optimum ferm temp i hear. Im a complete nube in yogurt but turn around is quick it tastes good with yogurt and vanilla and yep i have mine with muslie for brekkie every morn mmmm mmm. I recon it balances out all the saccharomyces i ingest lol:p.

Wondering what kind of tools needed to be prepared in this handmakiing?

Got the wife a yogurt maker for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago and she used it regularly. Some milk and a couple tablespoons of organic yogurt and, overnight, you have a batch of individual servings for a week. She used it regularly and had the home made yogurt every morning, along with her cat.
Just prior to leaving on vacation about a year later, we went shopping for provisions and bought a 4 lb. tub of Greek yogurt rather than messing with the jars from the machine. Turned out that the tub stuff was every bit as good as the home made stuff and cheaper too. Since then, the yogurt maker sits in our rather large small appliance graveyard. Some day I'll figure a way to repurpose it.

Got the wife a yogurt maker for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago and she used it regularly. Some milk and a couple tablespoons of organic yogurt and, overnight, you have a batch of individual servings for a week. She used it regularly and had the home made yogurt every morning, along with her cat.
Just prior to leaving on vacation about a year later, we went shopping for provisions and bought a 4 lb. tub of Greek yogurt rather than messing with the jars from the machine. Turned out that the tub stuff was every bit as good as the home made stuff and cheaper too. Since then, the yogurt maker sits in our rather large small appliance graveyard. Some day I'll figure a way to repurpose it.
Ive just taken up the yogurt making thing meself there bob. I make it by the 3lts or your gallon (ish) then store it in fridge and have it on me muslie for brekkie nothing like nice warm yogurt on muslie for breakfast mmm mmm gotta ballance out them saccharomyces ;).

I like the homemade yogurt. Costs as much as milk. I use a culture I get on line and it is much better than putting a couple of tbs of store bought. I like it a bit sour.

• Gallon of whole milk bring to 180 degrees and hold there for 20 minutes
  • chill milk down in a water bath to 110f
  • pour into gallon jar add 1/8 tsp of culture
  • screw on lid - place in sous-vide bath at 110
  • go to bed
  • wake up with yougurt

I strain it in a nylon straining bag usually (but not always).

The only gadget is the sous vide which I use for other things and it fits in a drawer.

I like the homemade yogurt. Costs as much as milk. I use a culture I get on line and it is much better than putting a couple of tbs of store bought. I like it a bit sour.

• Gallon of whole milk bring to 180 degrees and hold there for 20 minutes
  • chill milk down in a water bath to 110f
  • pour into gallon jar add 1/8 tsp of culture
  • screw on lid - place in sous-vide bath at 110
  • go to bed
  • wake up with yougurt

I strain it in a nylon straining bag usually (but not always).

The only gadget is the sous vide which I use for other things and it fits in a drawer.
Yep its good stuff straining it makes it nice and creamy im amazed how much whey is in there. Thats what all the gym junkies use as protein powder. So why not mix it in and eat it. Also im slowly finding out about all the other lactobacillus strains.

One question for ya if i keep it fermenting for lets say 24hrs will it get more sour or something? I generally do 12 hour ferment but have been wondering what would happen if i held fermentation for longer...?

Yep its good stuff straining it makes it nice and creamy im amazed how much whey is in there. Thats what all the gym junkies use as protein powder. So why not mix it in and eat it. Also im slowly finding out about all the other lactobacillus strains.

One question for ya if i keep it fermenting for lets say 24hrs will it get more sour or something? I generally do 12 hour ferment but have been wondering what would happen if i held fermentation for longer...?

I usually do twelve but the longer it goes the more sour it gets until all the sugar is gone. Haven't figured out what to do with the whey. Gave it to the dogs once but it wasn't a very good outcome if you know what I mean LOL.

Maybe a lacto-sour ;)

I usually do twelve but the longer it goes the more sour it gets until all the sugar is gone. Haven't figured out what to do with the whey. Gave it to the dogs once but it wasn't a very good outcome if you know what I mean LOL.

Maybe a lacto-sour ;)
Yep definitely souring with the yogurt culture. Have a local craft brewer here who orded a lacto culture from America but got held up in customs for a few days so culture died. He ended up using some local yogurt to sour his mash and ended up working out just fine. Could of saved himself some dollars too on the long run not having to pay for the lacto culture from America.
Ive not delved onto the sour beer side of things yet.

Maybe a lacto-sour ;)
Dump it on acid loving plants. It's great for tomatoes and roses.

Back