Homemade Sparging Arm

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I had difficulty in sparging my first couple of brews using the "jug-at-a-time" method as it seemed to disturb the grain bed too much and, as a result, it was taking a long time for the wort to run clear. I had seen other brewers Youtube methods using copper or plastic plumbing pipework suitably drilled to produce a more even spread of sparge so I decided to have a go and make my own.

Being on a budget I had also "manufactured" my own Mash tun using a 35lt Fermentation bucket so my sparge arm had to be capable of fitting the mash tun therefore was to be circular.

The big problem is that copper pipe is hard enough to bend at t he best of times so there had to be a better way.
A trip to the local B&Q store gave me the idea of using the "bendable" copper pipes that are used to connect to sing taps so I came up with the following design.

Components:
upload_2018-8-19_0-8-0.png

All the bits above and some 15mm pipe were fashioned into a T shape as the basic frame with the "bendable" sticks set at opposing 90 degree angles and then bent to fit the lowest diameter of the Mashtun bin.

upload_2018-8-19_0-12-47.png

The parts detailed in figure 1 were soldered together and manipulated to end up like this:
upload_2018-8-19_0-16-15.png

All the lower arms, including the base of the T shape were drilled at 20mm intervals on the lower working side to produce a spread of spray across the grain bed over which the arm is suspended. I use a bespoke movable brewing frame that has 3 levels so I can gravity feed the wort and hot water at the different stages of mashing, boiling and draining into the FV after cooling the wort so I have drilled holes in the frame to hold another 25mm pipe with a T-End that supports the sparge arm in operation. The following videos show the arm in use in an early test. The hot water for the sparge is transferred into a PB that I use as the sparging source. The tap on the PB regulates the flow of water through the sparge arm. The whole unit is covered in a polystyrene shield to keep the heat in during use.
upload_2018-8-19_0-32-58.png

I hope this will be of some help if you are thinking of constructing a similar rig for your own brewhouse.

The Sparge arm in use:

Last edited:
Cool. Nice work.

That looks great

Found this thread when doing a google seach for DIY spatge arm, giving it a bump so I can find it tomorrow. Going to use this for inspiration!

I love it dude! By chance are you good if I take this whole idea and make one for myself using your specs.

Can't speak for AHarper, but I can't imagine he would mind a bit if you copied his setup, that is why we post our DIY's!

I would like to understand why you need this?
I fly sparge and just keep 2 to 3 cm of water on top of the grain.

This is for fly sparging, and recirculating the mash.

This is for fly sparging, and recirculating the mash.

I understand that Craigerrr. I recirculate mash and fly sparge by placing a 1/2" ID silicone hose on the MLT inlet and keep a constant 2 to 3 cm of sparge water on top of the mash while sparging (until the end when I'm out of sparge water). I'm interested to know why you need a way to distribute the water over the grain bed?

If you don't diffuse the flow you could create a pathway through the grain bed. I have been running the wort/sparge water over the back of a spoon, but it is a pain in the hind quarters to get it set up, and to manage it.

I don't do that an have over 95% mash efficiency. Maybe you have some other problem?

I actually don't have any channeling issues, but my current set up sucks...
Going to set up that contraption so it will hang just inside the TUN, and make it easy to connect the hose to.

20200407_083009.jpg

I use to do the following with a betty crocker pizza pan, but I could not see the level of wort over the grain bed.
20200318_093545.jpg

20200427_153001.jpg

This one is pretty simple. Just used a board and a clamp for hight adjustment till i tried it a few times. That was about 100 batches ago. Guess it works ok!

Delayed the start of brew day to throw this together. Just need to come up with a clamping arrangement to make height adjustment quick and easy.
20200428_104032.jpg

20200428_104238.jpg

Back