yeast in a cold wort

brewbuck

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi , I brewed a 5gal batch biab yesterday and I think I pitched the yeast when the wort was to cold(50°f/10°C)
I would like to know if I have to pitche new yeast on it or if I juste have to wait a more time.
its a us-05 yeast ..........thanks :roll:

Did you activate the yeast in lukewarm sterile water (105F) before bitching or just sprinkled in the wort?

I tend to think if you did the former probably more cells were shocked and died than the latter, yeast does not appreciate sudden drastic changes in temperature. Safale-05 data sheet mentions the yeast will ferment from 12C all the way to 25C, ideally between 15-22°C (59-71.6°F)

My best guess is if you sprinkled the dry yeast in the cooled wort and since then have allowed the fermenting vessel to reach a temperature of around 68F gradually, you should be fine as there are plenty of cells that will have survived the journey and will start thriving on the sugars within the next day-ish or so. If you see no activity within 36-48 hrs of pitching, add another packet. Those are dirt cheap anyway...

That's my take on it. Probably not an experiment you want to re-conduct though.

Thanks for your quick answer !
I juste pitched the dry yeast in the carboy and now the fermenter is at 21 °c
So i will wait and maybe pitche an other yeast ....there cheap like you say

it might be ok might not, most likely will be very slow to start what gravity was it and only pitched 1 so far?

Yes i only pitched 1 and the gravity was at 1.062

Follow the instructions on the back of the yeast package and reconstute the yeast in warm water before pitching. This will give a reasonable pich rate of viable yeast cells, and therefore, a cleaner fermentation. It is possible to pitch a successful fermentation at low tenperatures, but this is generally done with a starter that is made at the same temperature as the wort.

Good luck with this batch;

that gravity needs 2 anyway, I would pitch another at least maybe even 2

Ok....ok i didn't know then iwas suppose to pitch two pack of yeast with that gravity
thats what i m gonna do
thanks alot for your precious help

now I saw yeast start to work :p and I also pitched another pack I think i m safe now :roll:

Attachments

• 2013-10-28 14.04.48.jpg
    2013-10-28 14.04.48.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 690
Yep I agree with you , i think I was so scare about it and finally ot was ok :D tjhats only my second batch so i dont have Lot of experience

Back