Editable Brew Steps

The problem is that the apps are not really as easily done as the desktop version for various reasons.

The editable brewsteps are popular, and very useful in the desktop version. We are adding some "free text" steps as well, so you can add your pH readings and other steps in your own system. Those aren't quite ready yet, but should be released soon. Unfortunately, the apps don't have this feature yet.

Also, I added to my last post. I’m curious on your comments regarding the new paragraph at the end.

Everyone has the right to be critical of other people's work regardless of their occupation. Whether people listen/care is another thing. Developer's spend much of their lives building mental models of the various bits that end up producing working systems. I'll proffer that most developers look at any software and imagine how they'd do it. No two systems in the wild are exactly the same, but there are best practices and common patterns that underpin or at least can describe the nature of most systems without needing intimate knowledge of said system.

My comment about the "step columns" is one such thing. Either due to naivety/time constraints/etc. some developers may choose to "hard code" certain attributes into the system. This is short sighted, but happens regularly. A tell-tale sign of this choice is a system that is brittle and/or hard to extend with features.

As to why developers feel compelled to let others know what they do, I imagine it's multifaceted. In the case of my post, I was attempting to set a shared context. Admittedly, on the internet it's probably wasted effort since anyone can say anything and no one cares. However imagine taking advice on brewing from your friend that only drinks beer. The mental model he builds around your beer is solely defined by the end result. Although he may have a point regarding flavors or opinions, if he were to tell you to increase your mash temps next time you'd probably ignore the advice. Contrast that with a fellow brewer and you may put more gravity behind his words.

So is there or is there not a way to edit the brew steps after the brew has been complete? I could not check off all the steps at the times they happened and would like to edit the session to more accurately reflect the real time's.

Wanted to edit my brew steps and my Google-fu has brought me here. I've decided to use the "other ingredients" section as a workaround. In the name field I've typed a short description of the step, then in the use field I associate the step with the activity I want (mash, boil, etc.)

I have read this whole thread... and this seems to be the best idea.

I am stuck with the same problem, and appreciate that BF are working on something, albeit a long time....

Thank youuu!!!!

I don't do a secondary fermentation on most of my brews and I would love to be able to remove it from a recipe.

Secondary fermentation isn't in any recipe or brew steps.

Where you may see it is in the stages area of the brew log- is that what you mean?

Back