Holy Water - Heads Gone!

could be a lot of things, could be the bottle and the glass, could be low protein, the list goes on

The priest blessing it wasn't a high enough level?

Its got a fair bit of wheat in there which is what i add for head retention at 800g thats plenty. Try a dextrin rest 70-71 centigrade for 20 min at end of next mash and see if this helps.

Oh hows your carbonation

Its got a fair bit of wheat in there which is what i add for head retention at 800g thats plenty. Try a dextrin rest 70-71 centigrade for 20 min at end of next mash and see if this helps.

Oh hows your carbonation

Carbonation is good, 15 psi for 2 weeks at 5 degrees c. I will try your mash recommendation next time. Cheers.

Nothing in the recipe looks off. Could be Diacetyl or soap/oil contamination. That's a common side-effect of both problems. Bad sanitation anywhere along the line, even as far along as serving hoses, can cause diacetyl. Film from some cleaners in bottles or glasses can cause trouble. Any sort of oil in the vessels can be problematic, too. I dropped a spring clamp into a batch of bock once and boiled it a while before I could fish it out and that beer never retained head at all.

high alcohol or fermenting too much can cause this also so like an infection and 5% beer turned into an 8% leads to hardly any head

I'm going to go with some kind of soap/lipid problem. Nothing wrong with the recipe - it should be viscous enough and have plenty of protein to form and hold a head. Otherwise, maybe some kind of infection eating up dextrines but that would be noticeable otherwise,..

I'm interested in theories about this because I taste a lot of very thin, headless homebrew. Mostly accompanied by a harsh flavor.

Reactions: J A
I'm going to go with some kind of soap/lipid problem. Nothing wrong with the recipe - it should be viscous enough and have plenty of protein to form and hold a head. Otherwise, maybe some kind of infection eating up dextrines but that would be noticeable otherwise,..

I'm interested in theories about this because I taste a lot of very thin, headless homebrew. Mostly accompanied by a harsh flavor.

Thank you :)

Back