Did the IBU calculator change wrt dry hops?

sjstewart@gmail.com

Premium Member
Reaction score
Recently I noticed that dry hops suddenly are contributing IBUs in the recipe calculator. I was working out the hop bill for a bitter and noticed I had to use alarmingly little bittering hops to keep it within the expected range. I looked at several of my past dry hopped recipes and saw that they showed no IBU contribution from dry hops, but if I edited a previous one and saved it with no other changes, the IBUs jumped from 74 to 86 as it started counting the dry hops, at around 3% utilization?

I wasn't able to find any explanation, release notes, etc for this change. I have read articles suggesting that dry hopping does add bitterness, and I might presume that's what's happening here, but I wanted to sanity check since I'm suddenly seeing large discrepancies and I want to know what I should listen to, here.

Yes, that changed. But you can change the utilization back to 0 if that seems correct to you. You can get some IBUs from dryhopping, but a smoother IBU contribution so it may seem a lot less than 3%. This is customizable, and you can experiment with the numbers to see what works for you.

Thanks for the quick response! I ended up trying to change the utilization to 0%, but that didn't seem to change the calculated IBUs (that could be a bug?). If I override the AA% with 0, it ends up calculated like before.

Thanks for the quick response! I ended up trying to change the utilization to 0%, but that didn't seem to change the calculated IBUs (that could be a bug?). If I override the AA% with 0, it ends up calculated like before.

We just fixed this as well. Please try again, and let me know if it continues.

I just tried again and it looks good and overall is acting how I expect.

Thanks again!

I was noticing some really weird results with hop entries today, 10 grams would show 70IBU at FWH, 5 grams would show 8IBU, then 10 would should 40IBU, and 5 would show 20IBU, etc...

It was super weird.

I was noticing some really weird results with hop entries today, 10 grams would show 70IBU at FWH, 5 grams would show 8IBU, then 10 would should 40IBU, and 5 would show 20IBU, etc...

It was super weird.

It should be fixed now- please let me know if you continue to have issues.

Apologies for the issues with IBU calculations. We had a feature requested to add the ability to customize utilization on hops entries. We were trying this out and it had some unintended side effects and the general feedback told us to roll this back immediately. We've since reverted to the original behavior, so things should be working as they did before. Please let us know if you still notice any issues. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and apologies for the confusion.

Back