Conical fermenters

Cntyview brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Brewers buddies, Question recently went from carboys to Conical fermenter, Seems my beer ferments so much faster and dry hop 3 days in and 5 days beer is tested and should be keged at 1.010 for IPA. the beer seems bitter not much hop favor dry hopping with Cirta, Mosic 2oz each day. the same recipe using same yeast, bittering ect when using carboys seemed better beer...I can control the temp better with Conical. not sure what is happing...any insite Thanks

Huh interesting, I've never used one personally. It would be interesting if that were the case.

I have not observed that effect using my Big Demon Conical. In fact, I've observed little difference between fermenting in the conical, the Speidel, a carboy or a bucket.

Hops sink to bottom eventually and aren't mixed up into wort so maybe less hop contact. But i dont use conical.
i thought advantages would be removing trub and yeast and hops for racking also an idea could you remove trub then inject c02 through outlet valve to resuspend hops...

What kind of Conical are you using? If you are using the fast ferment and letting the dry hop sink down into the ball I could see that being an issue... I assume your main concern is that the beer doesn't have the same hop Flavor it used to? - Though I thought dry hopping added more aroma than flavor...

"Better beer" could mean many things. Maybe the issue is with the ferm. temps and you preferred the results of a less controlled temperature? Now that you're controlling the temps better your beer is tasting different?

For instance:
- This could be a very different scenario as it sounds like you are doing hoppy beers BUT -

When I started using the yeast calculator here on brewersfriend my Hefeweizens got a totally different taste (one I didn't care for). It appears I prefer the taste of that yeast strain when it is under-pitched (more banana! and less clove). When I started using he calculator I started making starters or pitching two vials instead of one and the extra yeast led to more balanced, or in most cases, clove flavors.

Well it's a start, I suspend my hops in a bag using a fine threat to insure a seal.change out to new bag on day five much cleaner than in the bottom of carboy. Yes been making a citrus IPA, also switched from gas fire to electric system with Herms from Stout tanks. I like a smooth beer not bitter with great hop aroma. Maybe need to add a hop-back? One final thing I use Beersmith and scaled the recipe from 10 to 15 back.... seems it didn't also scale over right. Thank for the relays

With your new set up, you would really like a hopback. Blichmann makes a nice one.

Back