Forgot an Ingredient!

tankplunkett

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I brewed a gluten free beer using Sorghum syrup this weekend. I typically include 8 oz of Maltodextrine that is apparently supposed to help with the "mouthfeel" of the beer. Well I was adding additional hops to change up the recipe and I forgot to add the Maltodextrine. Does anyone have any idea how this will affect the beer? I didn't realize that I forgot it until I was adding yeast so it was way to late to add it.

Maltodextrine is not fermentable, it doesn't add flavor so it doesn't matter when you add it. Make a syrup, 50% water, 50% maltodextrine, boil it for a few minutes to sanitize, let it cool and dump it in.

You can add all sorts of ingredients post-pitch. Flavorings, honey, sugar, lactose, fruit. Sanitize the maltodextrine and get it in while there's still strong fermentation activity.

If you don't add it, the beer might feel thin. Like a lite beer. Not necessarily bad, but it won't be the same as your used to. It won't change the flavor. Just how the beer feels in your mouth.

I have added maltodextrine as late as bottling time, so as Nosybear suggested, you can boil it up and add it anytime.

Thanks.

I boiled it up and added it a few days ago, 4 days after initial brew. I’m sure it’ll turn out fine. At least good enough to drink!

Reactions: J A
You might check out the Brulosophy site, I believe they did an experiment with dextrine malt, with and without. Didn't seem to matter.

Back