(DONE) Labelling?

JAMC

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When bottling a batch, do you bother to label the bottles? If so, how do you produce the labels?

As I'm currently bottling all my batches, this has crossed my mind a couple of times. I don't currently label anything and I'm wondering whether it can be done relatively easily.

Re: Labelling?

I use basic address labels from Avery. I run them through my printer and put on them what is important for that beer. Name, ABV, bottling date and my "logo". The best part is that they come off real easy when I want them to and not when they shouldn't.

I've seen a bunch of different ways to do it. Saw a pic recently of some blue painter's tape with some initials on it. My buddy that I trade brews with uses "whiteout" correction tape and then writes on it. It's a good idea to label them in some way so you don't get them mixed up.

I just mark the caps with permanent marker. Not very creative or artistic but quick and easy.

Ive tried the colored stickers, but after six batches you run out of colors and have to repeat colors with a letter or icon to distinguish from the previous batch. Then you need a table of contents to keep all the batches straight. Of course if you drink it as fast as you make it, then it doesn't matter, however I archive a 12 pack from every batch, so it can be confusing. Now I just carefully label the cap with permanent marker, and If I give some away I print a simple label and tape it on. It works and is easy to remove.

Right now I just write on the cap like everyone else.

At some point I'd like to get some generic labels with a logo and brewery name, but with blanks to write name, date, abv, etc.

I personally use a sharpie and write on the cap. H = Hefewiezen, IPA = IPA, P = Porter, etc.
For rocker top bottles, I go with painter's tape which comes off easily.

We are currently trying out some re-usable stick on labels for a blog post.

Another possibility is, the recipe builder could print out labels onto templates. We were thinking it could show the batch stats, the name of the recipe, your avatar, etc. That would be fun.

I think the recipe editor application would be great. All the particulars as far as name, ABV, and such are already there. All one would need is some ability to add a graphic and arrange the info. I have seen somewhere a template for a label that is long and narrow, where the end folds over with a cut hole that goes over the neck of the bottle. This way the label hangs down the side, and no adhesive is used. They could be reused as well. Just a thought.

I used to label. Bought some paper on ebay and downloaded a template. I printed them out on my home printer. My lhbs also sells label paper. I labeled about 6 batches and then got pretty lazy and stopped doing it. I now just write with a sharpie on the cap or use colored stickers.

That label editor sounds awesome.

In all honesty, I'd probably only label the bottles going out as gifts, so it would be few and far between.... ;)

I would like to see a button on the recipe editor or brew sessions to print out labels. It would save me some time.

What templates do you guys use when you print? How many labels go on a page?

It would get tough for us to support every Avery template and every printer out there. We need to narrow down 3-4 templates to start with.

I was picturing the big full bottle labels. Small labels with just the name and stats would be pretty neat too, easier to peel off, and cheaper to produce.

Maybe we just provide some text you can copy paste into word / open office and go from there?

The issue is, what if you only want to print 5 labels, instead of a whole page, or what if part of the page has the labels peeled off. I think this could become a real can of worms... Word / Open Office will be much easier to get exactly what you want in that case.

I have a brew buddy who prints onto sticky paper and cuts out an oval by hand and sticks that on his bottle. That is where I was coming from originally.

I agree with you that you can't support all. Probably the best thing would be to have a button that will put the info that one is looking for in a word doc. Then you can copy and paste that into the template or do whatever you want.

For a small fee that lasts ..forever ....you can use a site called Beer Labelizer. Try it for free too.
you will find some very nice lables there
http://www.beerlabelizer.com

I use the 3/4" round Avery labels and stick them on the cap. I just put the beer name and bottling date. The rest of the info is stored here, so I don't need any more detail.

By labeling only the cap, you aren't stripping labels each time.

as far as not needing a whole sheet, once in MS word and using the Avery template, you can just delete the position on the sheet you don't need.

I also have a pack of 1.6 x .84 oval labels that I put my "brewery name" on if I'm giving out bottles.

I have used Milk to past lables on beer bottles. It is cheap and seems to hold pretty well , then washes off easly.
Just brush the milk on the back of the lable and stick it to the bottle. I have just used plain printer paper for the lables.
Once again check out the Lable maker site I suggested before. It is free unless you want to give a little to keep it on the web.

Back