Benman

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Fermenting a lager, the expected OG was 1.044 the actual gravity was 1.051
the expected FG is 1.007 - after 10 days the SG is 1.014
should i wait to 1.007 or 1.014 should be the FG if the OG was 1.051

thank you

When the gravity doesn’t change over a 3 day period, it’s done.

Thank you Jeffpn
It looks like it is done, I'll confirm it in the next two days before I'll give it the 'rest'

What yeast? What temperature? All grain or extract?...too many unknowns to have any real idea of what's going on.
I would expect most lager yeasts to go at least 80 percent unless it's specifically a lower-attenuating one like an Octoberfest strain. You could easily have mashed in such a way that your higher OG is made up of a lot of dextrins and therefore won't ferment. If you've held a low temp for 10 days, raising may very well allow it to go a few more points. Unless it's stuck and won't budge, I'd expect 1.011 or lower from an OG of 1.051.

thank you JA for the feedback
i used S-23 Lager, the attenuation now is 72.5% - the average for S-23 should be around 80%
10 days at ~53F, to what temp you think i should raise?

It's probably not too late to raise it for a diacetyl rest. Boost it up to 68 degrees but not too quickly. Normally, and maybe a little earlier in the process, you'd raise a couple of degrees a day but at this point if it rises over a day or two, it'll probably be fine.
I use S-23 a lot and I've gotten at least 80% nearly every time. It's very likely that it'll finish it out to 1.009 or so when you raise temp. My advice would be to get it to 68 and hold it for at least a week and then check the gravity again.

I'm raising the temp 5F every 12 hours until 68F
Thank you for the assistance, I'll let you know here the gravity next week

Reactions: J A
I'm raising the temp 5F every 12 hours until 68F
Thank you for the assistance, I'll let you know here the gravity next week
That’s about what I do if I do a D rest for my lagers.

Let er buck, she'll be right. I have nowhere near that much control over temps and I haven't had a disaster yet.

For FG though it's a guestimate where it will end up. Sometimes they just finish high.

after keeping the temp at 68F for about 5 days SG 1.011
thank you for the tips - it worked!

Back