Toasting malts

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
To those of you who toast your own malt:

A few questions:
1. Does it have to be 2-row? Or can I toast pilsner?

2. Any way to get something similar to marris otter via toasting? How about Vienna?

3. How long can I store it after?

I have a friend who has done it a bit, I imagine you can toast any malt you want. I don't know how it will turn out though. For storage I expect it will last as long as any other toasted malt if you store it properly.

Agree that you can smoke pretty much anything you want. As for storage, it is recommended that you wait a few days before brewing with freshly smoked grain. It needs to mellow or it can be very harsh.

Toasted, Bob. Not smoked. There is a difference.

Ive toasted grain, you don't need much, add to a flat sheet 15 to 30 minutes at 300 works the best rotate or shake half way through

The old mind is wandering again. Randy Mosher recommends resting malts for a couple of weeks after roasting/toasting as well. Radical Brewing pages 92, 224-225.

Ive used the direction on this site with great results http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/

Made a delishous lager with my own roasted crystal malt and my recent barleywine has some home roasted brown malt in it. Just like brewing trial and error keep good notes on temp and time.

I did have a thread on hear on roast your own... good luck and be sure to let us know how you go :).

Thanks for the tips guys! I am buying Pilsner malt as a base (along with Munich) and didn't want to cough up any more dough for 2-Row. I'd like to make some Brown ales and Scottish ales in the future but don't really want to buy Marris Otter so I am hoping to make the base malts work with these two malts some how.

Thanks for the tips guys! I am buying Pilsner malt as a base (along with Munich) and didn't want to cough up any more dough for 2-Row. I'd like to make some Brown ales and Scottish ales in the future but don't really want to buy Marris Otter so I am hoping to make the base malts work with these two malts some how.
Check this thread out
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/posts/28462/

https://brewingbeerthehardway.wordp...htly-toasted-malts-victory-amber-and-biscuit/

You can toast/roast/smoke/acidify/caramelize/melanoidinize any base malt. They will not be exactly the same as commercial since you can't control any of the pre-curing phases, but that hardly matters. I've converted pale malt and wheat into Vienna, Munich, biscuit, brown, caramel, smoked, and roasted malts. Pale because I had a sack of it and rarely use it otherwise. Wheat because it doesn't come in specialty flavors commercially.

Most of the time, converted malts keep longer than shelf malt because you're drying out any moisture that took up during storage and transit. How long do you think all those specialty malts at the LHBS have been sitting out in non-airtight containers?

You probably can't exactly recreate Vienna, Munich, etc by toasting pilsner or 2 row. But you can bring out some nice flavors maybe even get them in the ball park.

You probably can't exactly recreate Vienna, Munich, etc by toasting pilsner or 2 row. But you can bring out some nice flavors maybe even get them in the ball park.
Exactly whatever crystal roasted malt i made for that schwartzy beer blew me away. It was a christmass beer and that keg blew first and left us champing at the bit for more. Heck this thread has inspired me to "Get My Roast On"!

Back