Bunch of Newbi Questions

emdi

Trial Member
Reaction score
In the process of producing my first all grain brew and hoping not to screw up. So I have been reading up on line, here, and my book "Big Book of Homebrewing" but some questions remain unanswered so here goes. Thanks.
1. Realistically, how long should the ferment last for a 5 gal batch at around 20C.
2. When racking off the spent yeast the first time, how long do i leave it in the second container before bottling?
3, Do I need to fine before bottling or add when bottling?
4. I assume the beer will not be clear when bottled (?) since you need yeast to consume the sugar while in bottle to carbonate. Or maybe it is clear?
5. If a recipe calls for filtering before bottling I assume this can only be done when kegging or injecting with CO2? (since the filter would remove the yeast)
6. When using an immersion chiller, can I circulate the chiller in the wort (move it around) so the temp drops faster?
7. If dry hopping toward the end of the ferment can i just drop this into the beer since I'll be racking off when the ferment is complete? Or should I dry hop after I have racked it the first time?

Thanks for the much needed assist.

1. Primary fermentation about a week, conditioning about another week. Bottle after two weeks for safety.
2. If you choose to rack the beer into a fermentor for secondary, about a week, the second week of #1
3. No. You can fine if you want but it isn't necessary unless you want a "polished" beer.
4. It may be clear, depending on your yeast. Don't worry, you will have plenty of cells in suspension to ferment the beer.
5. Don't bother. No need to filter your beer.
6. Do so. As you said, it'll make the beer cool faster.
7. Many opinions out there, I'll pass on this one.

I guess the above is all correct answers, but anyhow...just a few thoughts

1 - I don't think the size of the batch matters how long it will take to ferment
2 - Using a secondary fermentor is, as I understand it, not necessary. Either works though.
3 - I've fined once, it got clear, but of all the other batches I've done so far (~15) only one have turned out murky and not looking very pleasant, the others have been clear enough for me
4 - See 3
6 - I use a big "skimmer" to stir the wort as it chill (and a immersion chiller). It chills fast and beer gets clearer.

1. The two week rhythm from the first answer works well. Certainly a good approach for the first few batches. Once you're a bit more comfortable you can work out ways to check how the fermentation is going, either to trim off time or just to satisfy curiosity.
2. I've never used a secondary. The reasons for using it at a home brew scale are harder and harder to find. Maybe if you're taking more than a month in the primary with just sacchromyces yeast.
3. If clear matters to you whirfloc/seaweed in the boil late is the easiest first step. Then gelatin fining before packaging sounds relatively simple. Personally getting a very clear beer is low on the list of things I worry about.
5. Adding filtering to the process sounds like a big step up in equipment and hassle. I wouldn't bother at the start.
7. I dry hop by adding loose pellets into the primary fermenter. When packaging I put a hop bag around the racking cane to stop the hops clogging up the process.

Many thanks for the responses. That clears up a lot of items. My first batch is almost finished its ferment and I'm gearing up to start my second batch, a Goose Island IPA from this site. Looks tasty and we don't want to run out of beer.

Nice, good luck. The answers above pretty much covers it.

Back