Beers aren't finishing (high FG)

The brew session feature here also does the alcohol correction for refractometers. So if you add a sample, racked or fermentation complete log entry and choose refractometer in the gravity section it will automatically convert to SG points and apply the alochol correction.

I highly recommend the finish hydrometer for measuring FG. The scale goes from .9-1.2 and is easier to read. You can get the polycarbonate ones that don't break near as easily.

Finish Hydrometer! Did not know there was such a thing, must get one of those...

I highly recommend the finish hydrometer for measuring FG. The scale goes from .9-1.2 and is easier to read. You can get the polycarbonate ones that don't break near as easily.

That would be from .9 to 1.02.

That's a thing? Huh, I need to look into it.

Sorry not sorry to hijacking this thread. I've brewed for several years, and have never had this happen until the current batch of Scottish Ale. OG: 1044, been stuck at 1020 for two weeks. Even pitched new yeast just in case. No change. Thoughts?

Sorry not sorry to hijacking this thread. I've brewed for several years, and have never had this happen until the current batch of Scottish Ale. OG: 1044, been stuck at 1020 for two weeks. Even pitched new yeast just in case. No change. Thoughts?
Was this an extract batch or grain?

you ran out of oxygen or the wort chains are too big, hard to guess but you can take some wort like a cup add yeast shake it up in a sealed container oxygenating the wort and yeast and they should have enough to finish the batch, that is if its indeed lack of oxygen

My first thought would be unfermentable sugars or not enough O2 in the wort as well. What temp did you mash at and what temp are you fermenting at? Scottish ale yeasts should get you in the range of 70% attenuation. 54% is way low. What yeast are you using? What are you measuring gravity with?

Are you measuring FG with a refractometer? If so, you need to use a conversion factor due to the alcohol content.

Hey Wolfie, good to see ya. Sounds like the 1.020 curse. What Oz said, could be 02. Did you try rocking it around and raising the temp? Post your recipe and mash schedule and maybe we can fix it.

you ran out of oxygen or the wort chains are too big, hard to guess but you can take some wort like a cup add yeast shake it up in a sealed container oxygenating the wort and yeast and they should have enough to finish the batch, that is if its indeed lack of oxygen

Would a Beer stone be a good idea at this point?

do not add any oxygen to the actual wort, it wont be good beer just a small amount with yeast or swirl and heat up

156° might be the culprit. That’s pretty high. If so, it’s a live and learn mistake. Next time, try 152° or so.

do not add any oxygen to the actual wort, it wont be good beer just a small amount with yeast or swirl and heat up
To late in fermentation for o2. I would warm it up to 68 or 72 and swirl the bucket or carboy around to roust it a little, while telling the little buggers to wake up and finish their job! I have got 6 or 8 points several times just with a roust and temp change. You shouldn't get off flavors still being within yeast recommended ferment temps.

Went back and ran the OP’s numbers as I mainly use a refractometer as well. As Nosybbear expected they are at -.004 and +.002 with respect to the 2 targets.

Back