Mash temp disagreement

I about killed my cord also. Then got some 1/4” heat shrink tube and covered the top 1/2 of the probe and about 2 feet of the braid. Works great.
Great idea, just ordered some.

I about killed my cord also. Then got some 1/4” heat shrink tube and covered the top 1/2 of the probe and about 2 feet of the braid. Works great.
That is a great idea! Will be looking for heat shrink tube soon....
Here's the results of the great thermometer race: all four within 1 degree of each other when measuring 40 degree, 71 degree, 122 degree and 153 degree water. So, I would agree with Ozark about temp of the wort vs parts of the grain bed. The challenge I see with your comment is that "going with your gut" results from experience. Since I have been doing all grain for a few months, I don't have the experience to have a well educated gut.

With all that in mind, I know that the wort will probably be cooler than the grain since that won't retain heat as well. My process next time will be to use the kettle thermometer since it is sticking right into the grain (with just the nylon bag in the way) and the grain temp is the big issue anyway.

Thank you everyone.
Just to be clear, the grain temp and the wort temp will be the same very quickly so measuring one is pretty much the same as measuring the other. Ozark is right: At our scale, particularly if using a cooler mash/lauter tun, we can't control temperatures very closely. Find one that works and go with it (maybe my "hot, warm, cool" scheme, hmmm....). Guts are hard to calibrate so find a process that works and use it, until you have a reason to change. I have a dial thermometer for my 10-gallon cooler, I use a waterproof electronic thermometer for the 5-gallon cooler and get reasonably good results when I shoot for 158 (hot), 152 (warm) or 148 (cool).

ok I think the focus on the word gut is too much thinking in the wrong direction lets try instinct lol

Instinct is just as hard to calibrate.... Advice above remains.

Instinct is just as hard to calibrate.... Advice above remains.
I believe that instinct is based on experience in most cases. 2 people saying the same thing only 2 different ways.

By the way, anybody ever try using their RIMS set up for Sous Vide? I think it should work awesome!(with the right thermometer) :D

I believe that instinct is based on experience in most cases. 2 people saying the same thing only 2 different ways.

By the way, anybody ever try using their RIMS set up for Sous Vide? I think it should work awesome!(with the right thermometer) :D

Yup! The right thermometer is always the key.

Back