Sam Adams Boston Lager

HuvBrauHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have an all grain recipe that is a clone for Sam Adams Boston Lager?

I've visited Sam Adams brewery and was told all they use is 2-row and c malt60L. 10/1 ratio. Of course mittlefrue hops. I bitter with Magnum to 30Ibu

I would also love to know the recipe. Such a great beer (in my opinion). Mine would be a Sam Adams Boston Ale though haha
I've split batches ale and lager same recipe comes out good. Actually I've taken to using that grain ratio in all my pale ales

I cleaned my recipes a while back and I go by how many have viewed or brewed it, must have been on the low list sorry Ill dig one up

Do you recall if yours came out close to SA?

And thanks, but I've been looking online quite a bit and think I finally landed on a recipe. Just gonna go with a mix of 2 Row, Maris, C60 and maybe a touch of vienna. Do you have any thoughts on the water profile though?

It seems although people say they're making a tasty beer, they admit it hasn't been that close to SA. I assume a lot has to do with the decoction mash and krausening, but I assume the water may play a significant factor as well.

the recipes online do not taste like the original and yes the decoction is the key, its a lager and the water needs to be balanced low in hardness and it does have a touch of roasted flavor, Vienna isn't a strong flavor at all and you wont notice just a little. I didn't like 60 in this beer, it changes the flavor the wrong direction and no I've never came close to a blind taste test, good luch

Very good point on the vienna, gonna swap it for munich. Appreciate your feedback. I'll try and remember to report back in July!

the recipes online do not taste like the original and yes the decoction is the key, its a lager and the water needs to be balanced low in hardness and it does have a touch of roasted flavor, Vienna isn't a strong flavor at all and you wont notice just a little. I didn't like 60 in this beer, it changes the flavor the wrong direction and no I've never came close to a blind taste test, good luch

if you listen to the youtube video on how this beer was made, he states it was his old family recipe, meaning maybe over 60 years ago so I don't think they had modified crystal back then like today, I think they had home roasted 2 row to darken the beer then used the decoction to give it even more malt flavor, then used a lager yeast and nothing else, people today are just trying to replicate using todays grains and it just wont be the same unless you do the old fashion way

Agreed, we’ll never know the exact recipe. I figured adding some Munich and maris might help impart some more maltiness and roastiness.

Just because we don’t know the exact recipe, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try! Curiosity is the mother of invention!

this is what I would try, I think it's much simpler than thought

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - American - Pale 2-Row - Toasted (100%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.98
2 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 13.22

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Decoction, Temp: 3 stage decoction starting at 100,
2) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 0 gal

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70

Can you use a roasted malt as a base? Thought roasting killed off most of the starches and enzymes? And that they were used more sparingly as an adjunct for color and roasty flavor?

this is what I would try, I think it much simpler than thought

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - American - Pale 2-Row - Toasted (100%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.98
2 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 13.22

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Decoction, Temp: 3 stage decoction starting at 100,
2) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 0 gal

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70

look at the ppg this is store bought toasted 2-row, if you were to toast your own I would just split 50/50
Opera Snapshot_2018-06-04_215829_www.brewersfriend.com.png

. I didn't like 60 in this beer, it changes the flavor the wrong direction
Pilsner or 2-row with 10% C-60 and basic lager yeast strain makes a pretty nice Octoberfest-style brew. Not necessarily the same as SA, though. :)

yes I've brewed that a couple of time's and not a bad beer but not the same, I like both Sam Adams Boston and Michelob amber bock beers and never came close to a repeat flavor of either

Reactions: J A
Okay guys, just wanted to report back that things worked out really great! Adding maris, munich and vienna really got the body, breadiness and caramel flavors right in the zone. I also used a stepped infusion mash and cranked up the water profile as well. Here's a pic of a SBS and little write up for those interested: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlWlNAHlJkD/

Back