Faster/cheaper way to clean bottles?

Just looked at ours and yep... there's plenty of prongs. But my wife raised a good point... our dishwasher has a place to use "rinse aid" spot remover. Not sure I want that stuff. And it's a months supply in the container in the dishwasher
Yep, that's a problem and why I don't use the dishwasher for my bottles. SWAMBO ain't giving up her rinse aid!

Just looked at ours and yep... there's plenty of prongs. But my wife raised a good point... our dishwasher has a place to use "rinse aid" spot remover. Not sure I want that stuff. And it's a months supply in the container in the dishwasher
The only risk is that the rinse aid could "potentially" reduce the head retention on your beer. To be honest I don't make an effort to avoid the rinse aid and I've not had a problem with head.

I know guys who don’t sanitise bottles at all. Bugs do not like clean glass. I wash once after pouring. If I don’t have time I throw them out. Washing bottles with hardened sediment is not worth it. Then I either run through dishwasher or give a quick rinse with alkaline salts before refilling. Or if really lazy just clean water. The main thing is never let them sit dirty. Pour beer into a glass, rinse the bottle then drink your beer. If you clean them straight away it is super simple.

I sure wish OxiClean was available in France.

If you can get "washing soda," you can use that. Many people use washing soda (sodium carbonate) for soaking or washing diapers. If you want it to be more like oxy clean (sodium percarbonate), add a half cup hydrogen peroxide when you mix it up.

Last edited:
If you can get "washing soda," you can use that. Many people use washing soda (sodium carbonate) for soaking or washing diapers. If you want it to be more li,e oxy clean (sodium percarbonate), add a half cup hydrogen peroxide when you mix it up.
I have problems with washing soda. The carbonate precipitates out as a very fine powder in the bottle, causes gushers.... Likely due to the amount of permanent hardness in my water. I wind up with sodium sulfate or chloride in my water and calcium carbonate in the bottle. Something to be cautious of if you use washing soda on your bottles.

I didn't know that. I always thought that PBW had sodium carbonate in it .. but maybe It's all sodium percarbonate.

Whoops. Misunderstood. PBW is percarbonate. Washing soda is sodium carbonate.

As far as I can tell, PBW has percarbonate, washing soda, EDTA, and Sodium metasilicate. Obviously, the active ingredient is the percarbonate. The other salts might be there as PH stabilizers and to make it easier to rinse.

I rinse bottles after using. And then I store the bottle in a dry place. Besides, I wash them with detergent or soap, utilizing a cleaning brush to scrub them. Sometimes I will use vinegar to soak the bottles.

I think the simplest thing to do is rinse them immediately after use, then let them drain upside down in the dishwasher to dry. Before the next bottling, I fill a 5 gal. plastic bucket with a StarSan solution and let the bottles soak, then back in the dishwasher to drain while prepping for bottling.

OR, sell all your bottles & start kegging!

I'm with most of the brewers here. When I bottled I always rinsed bottles well just after emptying and stored upside down. When ready to bottle I rinsed again in hot water and soaked in Iodophor for a few minutes then hung on the bottle tree. by the time the last bottles were soaked the first had air dried sufficiently and were ready to fill.
Now if I bottle it's either beer that won't fit in a keg or a sixer to give someone. I use the same basic procedure, but use a quick rinse with Starsan rather than soaking with iodophor.. Never had a bad bottle.

Rinse the bottles after use and then turn the bottle upside down for drying the bottles. Sometimes I use vinegar to soak the bottle and a bottle brush to clean the inside of the bottle. For the outside, I utilize a dish scrubber and some detergent to clean and then wipe with a dry dishcloth before I place the bottle in a dry place for storing.

Is it a bad idea to store cleansed bottles in bucket with starsanned water for a longer period, like 4-5 weeks? How long stays the water "fresh" if sealed with a lid on?

Is it a bad idea to store cleansed bottles in bucket with starsanned water for a longer period, like 4-5 weeks? How long stays the water "fresh" if sealed with a lid on?
If you used distilled water and if you didn't put dirty glasses in, the Star-San will last nearly forever. I go a cheaper route, though. A bleach solution will disinfect, remove grime from the bottle and costs much less.

I also rinse out with hot water after pouring. Store upside down until the next day then store in a dry area. When ready to bottle I use "one step" in dishwasher then use star san with bottle washer then on to the bottle tree to drain. Works great and never an issue

Back