Okay... I've got a question for the pros☺

I was gonna say something, but I think this post is beyond repair. ;)

Actually, I thought the OP's questions were good and seemed to be answered. The only thing I might add is that a big part in the early brewing/ tasting is actually learning to identify what it is you're tasting, and then relating it to something to describe it. It does get easier with time and lots of practice!
Also, I think for the most part, Judges do their best to evaluate a beer and give feedback. I don't think they have it out for you or a particular beer and unless you're perfect in your bottling technique and the beer is perfectly handled while out of your care, then different bottles from the same batch can be very different. I've judged plenty of beers that were bottle conditioned and brought to me shook up. Tell me that doesn't make a difference!
Cheers,
Brian

Reactions: J A
I've judged plenty of beers that were bottle conditioned and brought to me shook up. Tell me that doesn't make a difference!
I'm pretty sure that most folks don't think about what happens to their beer once they relinquish it into the loving care of the postal service or common carriers. "Perfect" beer out of your fridge just may not translate after a week in a hot truck and tossing around through a few sorting facilities. And if there's the slightest hint of organisms that may cause infection and off flavors, they have a chance to do their thing en route. Packaging and sanitation wins competitions. :)

I'm pretty sure that most folks don't think about what happens to their beer once they relinquish it into the loving care of the postal service or common carriers. "Perfect" beer out of your fridge just may not translate after a week in a hot truck and tossing around through a few sorting facilities. And if there's the slightest hint of organisms that may cause infection and off flavors, they have a chance to do their thing en route. Packaging and sanitation wins competitions. :)
Sanitation is the first duty of the brewer - nothing can overcome bad sanitation. Packaging - well, that's pretty standard, a brown bottle with a crimped-on steel cap. I'd put it a little differently - packaging and sanitation are table stakes if you want to win competitions.

Reactions: J A

Back