Frozen sealed hop pellets

BrewMeyester

Premium Member
Reaction score
how long will hop pellets last if kept sealed and frozen to still be useful?

vacuum packed or not? if vacuum packed forever if not watch for freezer burn, that's the killer I wouldn't go more than 6 months

According to the guys I've talked to at Yakima Valley Hops, you can expect some Alpha Acid deterioration in the freezer, but the drop isn't drastic. Assume that a year would be fine and after that, bitterness might suffer but flavor should be okay.

Thank you all for your quick replies, all are vacuum packed, but I have some over a year old...guess I'll use them for flavoring
Have a great Memorial Day! and Happy Brewing!

I'm with Yooper. I have opened vacuum sealed hops after several years in the freezer and used them as I would fresh with no problems. I buy most hops by the pound and recently started storing in vacuum sealed qt. Mason jars after opening the original packaging to simplify storage and be able to tell at a glance what I have in inventory. I have read that the small amount of O2 left in the jars will cause some degradation, but now only buy hops that I will use within a few months.

I got handed a bunch of freebies at a brewers group meeting and they were great, no idea how old they were.

I use a Foodsaver vacuum sealer in 60g bags and freeze them personally, I should probably use smaller numbers since when I open a bag I want to use all of it and 60g of hops is an awful lot in some styles.

FYI: Thought my FoodSaver was done for until I did a web search. It wouldn't pull enough vacuum to switch to sealing either with bags or the jar attachment. Found several posts suggesting rubbing a bit of water on the seals. It works, so I have now added $130 to my brewing budget. Less the cost of new seals, of course :) Don't tell my wife they're replaceable.

I use my food saver for jerky and sausage. Oops, wrong thread!

A Foodsaver hijack :) Although secondarily, my Foodsaver is used to repackage bulk buys of various meats and home made sausages as well as abundant harvests from the home garden. We roast a lot of peppers and vacuum pack them for the Winter months when they are most enjoyable.

All of the above!! :)
Handy item. No brewer, gardener, meat processor, hunter, etc. Should be without it.
Quick question on topic, are store bought hops sealed with nitrogen or co2 to eliminate O2?

My wife just asked me this same question this morning. I received a delivery of three pounds of hops yesterday. After I open the vacuum packs for the first time, I just put them in ziplock bags and keep them in the freezer. I've kept them that way for up to three years with no noticable issues.

Hi,
I found almost 1 pound of hops in my refrigerator.
they were stored in normal bags at 5°C for 4 years ... can i still use them ? they smell good.
Thanks.

Give it a go and see what happens. They're probably not as potent as they once were but if they don't smell off I'd personally use them.

I bought my wife a Food Saver vacuum sealer for Mothers Day ;)

I bought mine a wide mouth jar adapter for her FoodSaver so she can vacuum seal Mason jars :) They work great for keeping hops once the factory packaging is opened. Got tired of the price of the bags and rolls. Also good to keep the bags from sliding out of the freezer when it's opened.
Hops.jpg

Back