Blowoff tube or airlock

Think of an iceberg (and I’m not starting a global warming discussion, so don’t go there!) If you lose the part of the iceberg you can see, you’ve still got plenty left behind. I’ve heard it referred to as the 80/20 rule.

I had it happen on my last batch as well and I told myself I wasn't going to let it happen again, and here we are haha.

You have plenty more yeast left. If its fermenting enough to blow out you have enough yeast to afford some losses.

Well it happened... LHBS was closed yesterday so I went to Lowe's, decided against buying anything there to make a blowoff tube since none of it was food safe and I didn't want to risk infection, so I decided to see how things went overnight. Woke up this morning with one bucket covered in yeast and the other buckets' airlock full of yeast. I cleaned up the mess and cleaned out the airlocks, they were still going good after I reinstalled them. Have decided now I am going to blowoff tube 100% as of this afternoon when I can go get the proper equipment. As for my current situation, I am expecting to see more of the same later this afternoon when I get home. Should I pick up an extra pack of yeast to split and pitch in the batches (assuming the other overflows today too)? This afternoon will be 48 hours since I initially pitched the yeast. Thanks in advance for your help!
I just ordered a stainless steel blow-off tube from Amazon for about $12.

I ferment in a Fermonster with a solid lid with a bucket grommet. 3/8 or 7/16 blowoff tube to the pukinator (a one gallon juice bottle with two bucket grommets in the lid). Blowoff tube goes in one grommet, an S bubbler in the other grommet. No suck-back and when cold crashing I make sure the blowoff tube is lower in the pukinator so as to pull in c02. In theory anyway.

Here’s the pukinator
upload_2018-5-22_13-17-35.jpeg

Got the blow off tubes rigged up and it's still going strong. Dropped the temp a couple of degrees, thanks everyone for the input!

I've been thinking about that, but I don't want to open the keg once I've filled it and put it in the keezer.

I ferment in a Fermonster with a solid lid with a bucket grommet. 3/8 or 7/16 blowoff tube to the pukinator (a one gallon juice bottle with two bucket grommets in the lid). Blowoff tube goes in one grommet, an S bubbler in the other grommet. No suck-back and when cold crashing I make sure the blowoff tube is lower in the pukinator so as to pull in c02. In theory anyway.

I like this idea, so it's pretty much a one stop shop through fermenting and cold crash, right?

I always use a blowoff tube, every time. 1"food safe vinyl tube right into the carboy (I ferment in glass carboys) and into a bucket of Starsan.

I like this idea, so it's pretty much a one stop shop through fermenting and cold crash, right?
That’s right. I drill 1/2 inch holes for the grommets. 3/8 inch vinyl tube barely fits tight enough. I don’t do secondary any more. So easy to unscrew the fermonster lid and dump in dry hops. Hope that helps.

I've been thinking about that, but I don't want to open the keg once I've filled it and put it in the keezer.
For adding gelatin? Or? That's understandable. I just figure if I've purged and chilled for a few hours, popping the lid for a few seconds probably isn't too detrimental.
It's also pretty tight for me trying to fit a carboy in with my kegs to cold crash.

Yeah gelatin. I can fit 2 carboys in my downstairs fridge so they crash a while.

Soooo I'm this pickle now and It's my own fault. I overloaded my carboy so I have the blowoff tube working hard but I think I may have an obstruction since I have some ooze coming out of the side of the lip of my Bigmouth Bubbler along with bubbles in the blow off bucket.

What kind of risk am running if I pull the bung to clear anything as I am just about 24 hours into the fermentation cycle?

That happened to me with my Imperial Stout. I just let it go. Took the hose off and put a new one on. Positive pressure is your friend . . .

No w
Soooo I'm this pickle now and It's my own fault. I overloaded my carboy so I have the blowoff tube working hard but I think I may have an obstruction since I have some ooze coming out of the side of the lip of my Bigmouth Bubbler along with bubbles in the blow off bucket.

What kind of risk am running if I pull the bung to clear anything as I am just about 24 hours into the fermentation cycle?
No worries, shouldn't spray more than 5 ft when bung is pulled.

Should be no problem, make sure you sanitize the bung before replacing it.

No worries, shouldn't spray more than 5 ft when bung is pulled.
LOL,......well then I guess I will hear it when it hits the ceiling!

I moved it to cooler space in the cellar last night as I had it in space were was about 64 F but when I saw the thermometer on the side of the bubbler at 74, I figured it would be better in the basement at 50. I just took a look at it and the glass temp is showing 65 and we are still bubbling away.

Back