Water, water everywhere!

I have always treated my water and still do. I have recently acquired a pH meter and makes brewing much easier.

I use soft water, with little mineral content and with the help of Bru'nWater and the pH meter, my latest 10 batches turned out better than ever before ( I am a new brewer, with only 29 batches under my belt ). I had Pale Ales, Bitters and some Red ales turn out great after 15 days in the bottle and were still great/crisp 2 months after. ( this is not all due to water treatments, but it surely does help )

I can relate to being a bit confused by the Bru'n Water spreadsheet. The additions and adjustments within Brewer's Friend are easier to understand and use, and keeps all your calculations in the same software which is nice.

I can also attest to the other posters who say "take it easy with brewing salt adjustments." I tried adjusting my local soft water with three teaspoons of gypsum and epsom salt and found that it made my British Bitter way too medicinal. I cut back the next brew to avoid this problem.

Good luck in your brewing endeavors with tweaking water! It can be as complex or simple as you like once you know more about the water you are starting with and the style you are making.

Back