Beers aren't finishing (high FG)

joshbotimer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and here's the scoop. I've brewed 6 beers to date and haven't had a single one finish at the "proper" FG. I say "proper" as I understand things don't happen exactly the way they're projected all the time. They've all been extract kits using SF-05 or SF-04 dry ale yeast. On my second batch I started making yeast starters 100g DME/1000mL. They've all basically had a difference of 0.030ish from OG to FG. For example:

My extra IPA was brewed on 4/1/18 with an OG of 1.056. Projected FG: 1.017. Grav readings since:
4/29/18 was 1.029
5/5/18 was 1.028
511/18 was 1.028

My Chocolate Milk Stout was brewed 4/9/18 with an OG 1.069. Projected FG: 1.023. Grav readings since:
4/22/18 was 1.046
5/9/18 was 1.044
5/11/18 was 1.044

I have done a dry Irish Stout and a Brown with similar numbers. I use a refractometer to measure my gravity. Fermentation temps have held steady at 67-68 F for every batch. I've tried "rousing" the yeast by agitating the fermenters... I've scoured the web for solutions and what I've deduced is that the LME that comes with kits sometimes results in higher FGs. Anyone have any advice? Help please!

Note: The taste of the first 3 I brewed was fine; I'd say borderline good, yet they just seem like they had a little wasted potential.

How are you taking your gravity readings? Those FG values look like uncorrected refractometer values to me. If you're using a hydrometer, you have a problem. If you're using a refractometer, you need to correct the readings - alcohol has a higher refractive index than water so as the beer ferments, the readings become farther and farther off.

most used piece of brew equipment out side of kettle and fermentor!
Uh, I never use mine any more. Once you've figured out how to convert the refractometer reading, the hydrometer begins to look like a mercury thermometer.

Converting requires math. Math blows. Sucks AND blows :)

I use the refractometer a lot on brew day, but once fermentation is underway and alcohol is present, I go with the hydrometer.

How else do you drink from the test jar ??

Converting requires math. Math blows. Sucks AND blows :)

I use the refractometer a lot on brew day, but once fermentation is underway and alcohol is present, I go with the hydrometer.

How else do you drink from the test jar ??
First, I only do the math once. The spreadsheet does it for me thereafter. And second, just because the instrument only requires a few drops, that doesn't mean the sample size has to be that small! Seriously, both work just as well. But I agree on one thing: The hydrometer is the most straightforward way of measuring gravity. No conversion required!

Been thinking about getting a refractometer, but I almost always hit my #s, so really see no reason to check gravity prior to cooling. Aside from that my second cop out is I'm too damn old to learn to use another piece of equipment :)

Uh, I never use mine any more. Once you've figured out how to convert the refractometer reading, the hydrometer begins to look like a mercury thermometer.
dont have refractometer Nosey.
ok ill put it this way (gravity measuring device refractometer or hydrometer) most used piece of brew equipment outside fermentor.:)

But you started with a hydro. ;)

Get a hydrometer.
And if able to afford it the Tilt hydrometers are great as you can get a reading anytime during fermentation without having to take a sample.

Make sure you don't accidentlly step on your hydrometer. I use a refractometer for brew day and then a hydrometer for the final gravity readings.

I've never stepped on one, but several have committed suicide jumping off the counter to their death

I've found that the cure for that is to always have a replacement. Since I ordered an extra I've never broken one. Same with flasks.

I've found that the cure for that is to always have a replacement. Since I ordered an extra I've never broken one. Same with flasks.

Me too. Last time around I bought 2 and the spare just sits in my brew day box. Same principal as life insurance ... you're never gonna be able to spend that money.

I was lucky I had a second one in the garage I don't use often, saved me.

I get good results using the equations from Zymurgy last July. Plug the equations and the values into a spreadsheet and you get both the SG at any time in the fermentation using drops of wort and those nifty fermentation curves without spending money on monitoring equipment. I was going to attach my spreadsheet for you but it's local on my machine at home.

Back