Collecting wild yeast

BenBe

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Im preparing my hop yard, and also learning how to wash yeast, and also working on capturing wild yeast.

Is it possible to capture yeast from a mix of berries and flowers?
Also could we mix yeast, per example saison washed yeast with wheast beer yeast?

Last edited:
Wild "yeast" will be a colony of organisms - think sourdough - including yeasts and bacteria. I caught my sourdough starter in peach orchard in Palisade, Colorado. So yes, it's possible to mix yeasts, just be aware that one will likely out-compete the other and you won't have a stable colony of yeast.

Wild "yeast" will be a colony of organisms - think sourdough - including yeasts and bacteria. I caught my sourdough starter in peach orchard in Palisade, Colorado. So yes, it's possible to mix yeasts, just be aware that one will likely out-compete the other and you won't have a stable colony of yeast.
Thanks.
So I could mix clover flowers, organic apples, organic wild rasberries and get wild yeast from it.

wild yeast are on the skins of fruits is what ive learned.

They're just about everywhere, including the skins of fruits.
yep same as sourdough starter.

i acrually learned rgis off them Youtube Videos cheers Benbe he gets pretty techy doing them slants too far down the rabit hole for me. im happy letting Whitelabs do this strain selecting and growing pure cultures for me.

A brewery I visit had a guy from a university come out and collect wild yeasts and grow them up. They got one strain from a flower, one from moss, one from an old log and one from a piece of fruit. You can find them anywhere. Its the separating them from everything else that takes some skill.

Back