Barleywine Ideas

well, i try to keep it to beer. and i tend to be less...precise... the more i've had. i don't go overboard, i still have to carry at least 4 gallons of hot liquid around

it's called Cooper's Barleywine, not sure if it's public though. let me know if it's not

thought i'd resurrect this thread since i'm about to brew the 2018 version of this soon.
I just had one of these last night, and it's pretty darn good, but feels a little thin. I'm thinking the brown sugar was the culprit, since i tend to mash on the higher side

Part of me wants to try to fix it with this year's batch, but the other part doesn't want to mess with the recipe since it'll be a "different" beer and sort of defeat the purpose of a vertical flight

i would definitely ditch the sugar. my barley wine also turned out rather watery because of it.

how did the carbonation turn out in your batch?
mine is rather flat. :*( though the beer is getting better by the month! it's amazing how this type of beer ages over time! after i cracked open the first bottle one month i could almost cry because it tasted like faeces!

ah, you ended up using my recipe as a starting point? thanks for the info, that's good to know it's not just me.

The main reason i added it was to boost the abv without adding more grain (my kettle / mash tun at the time was only 5 gallons. i've since gotten a 10 gallon kettle). I attribute a little of the taste to the brown sugar, so i might not totally get rid of it

the carbonation is a little light, but that's more or less in line with other commercial barleywines i've had. it's definitely gotten better, and i can't wait to have 2 different batches to compare

what about a good decoction for this next one and halve brown with DME.

this is what id do if attempting a barley wine not that i know from experience.... just uping grav diffrence with dme seems a no brainer.

what about a good decoction for this next one and halve brown with DME.

this is what id do if attempting a barley wine not that i know from experience.... just uping grav diffrence with dme seems a no brainer.
Barleywine is a British style and decoction is not typically a part of the process.... How about pulling a half-gallon or so of your first runnings, boiling that on a separate stove until it's syrupy (half the water gone, at least), then adding that back to your boil or mash, depending on where you are in the process when the syrup is done? It's a Scottish technique but should punch up the malt in this style as well. As mentioned, if the mash is too big for the tun, I'd just bump the gravity up with extract. Either that or do two mashes and combine. Or do a slightly smaller batch - you won't want to drink a lot of barleywine at a sitting!

(Or maybe you will - assumption on my part....)

i have been known to have more than one barleywine during a session...

i've done what your describing a few times for a porter, which turned out great I thought, thanks for the idea to use it here.
the first batch was only about 3 gallons, but i may bump that up a little bit. It's getting a bit hard to not crack one open every once in a while for testing purposes

Back