Increasing og while keeping grain percentages

Rob-Oxfordshire

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question which I'm sure must have an easy answer.

If i have entered a recipe that meets the percentages of each malt that I require, but then want to increase the OG that this gives me, while keeping all malt percentages the same - is there an easy way to do this (as other recipe buld programmes have).

At present I can only seem to do it by fiddling with each malt individually, which never keeps the percentages exactly the same.

Thanks.

The only way you can increase your OG and keep the grain percentage the same would be to apply the same factor to every grain in your bill. In other words, if you had 10 pounds of your base malt and you want to increase that to 11 pounds, you'll have to increase all of your other grains by the same 10% factor. A 1 lb grain would become 1.1 lb, a 1/2 lb grain would be increased to .55 lb, etc.

Thanks.

That's quite a limitation really for a recipe editor, and a real pain when the numbers are not nice round numbers.

It really should be looked at as a requirement.

Whether the editor can make the calculations or not, the numbers are not going to be nice round numbers if you want to keep the percentages the same.

The quickest way to do it would be to use the scale feature. Increase the volume by the factor you want. Then go back and manually reenter your original volume. Scaling will also change hops and other additions, but you might want to change them anyway for a higher gravity beer.

Rob-Oxfordshire said:
Thanks.

That's quite a limitation really for a recipe editor, and a real pain when the numbers are not nice round numbers.

It really should be looked at as a requirement.

+1

For the design phase, this function should be made available. It would really speed up the process and should be easy to implement, as you're dealing with just the fermentables and current volume.

I would like to see this too. As of now, if I need to do this I enter the recipe into Beersmith and have it scale up or down for me, then enter the numbers back into Brewers Friend.

don't forget the yeast attenuation and the mash thickness its all figured in

I would like to see this too. As of now, if I need to do this I enter the recipe into Beersmith and have it scale up or down for me, then enter the numbers back into Brewers Friend.

You can easily adjust the percentages and/or adjust the batch size in Brewer's Friend. What are you trying to do that Brewer's Friend can't do?

I just figured it out. I hadn't used the Goal function previously.

Goal function?

Edit: Oh shit, when did they add that?

Goal function?

I don't know, but based on Yooper's post it seemed like it was something that I was just missing. I searched more on percentages with BF and found it.

Goal function?

Aha! I KNEW you didn't read my newsletters. :)

We added it a little while back. It's awesome. You can pick an OG and click, and it will fill with the amount of grain you need to hit that OG, and then you can play with the amounts or the percentages. I love it- it's my favorite feature!

Yeah I started playing with it last night, it's pretty cool. The only other thing I would maybe suggest, and it might exist and I'm dumb. Would be a template of each type of beer for newer brewers. Like when they select Strong Bitter it pre-populates or gives the option to provide a template. I know I like the green check box but it only really covers the values but not the flavour of the beer.

Yeah I started playing with it last night, it's pretty cool. The only other thing I would maybe suggest, and it might exist and I'm dumb. Would be a template of each type of beer for newer brewers. Like when they select Strong Bitter it pre-populates or gives the option to provide a template. I know I like the green check box but it only really covers the values but not the flavour of the beer.

That seems pretty complex to develop, but I will mention it.

Oh I imagine it would be a huge pain in the ass, but I know I've spent a fair amount of time googling recipes for a type I want to make cause I'm not sure what to use. I imagine a link to an example recipe would probably work too.

Aha! I KNEW you didn't read my newsletters. :)
Maybe not, but I bet you’d prefer him to pay you and not read your newsletters, than the other way around! :p

Maybe not, but I bet you’d prefer him to pay you and not read your newsletters, than the other way around! :p

Haha- I'm a volunteer moderator/admin so it doesn't really matter to me...............

Seriously, we do try to make the newsletter informative about new features and tips. If it's not being read, I feel that we need to do better to bring attention to new things. If there is something that we can do to make it more interesting, and not junk email, we'd love to do that.

Odds are I probably didn't quite pick up on what you meant. I promise to read closer next time.

Back