Keg Cleaning

Do you completely disassemble your kegs every time you clean them?

• Yea

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
Sounds like I can back off my regime a bit. After a keg is kicked, I completely disassemble and use One Step, for an hour and then Sta-San for an hour using Mark’s Keg Washer II. Then I reassemble and let air dry. All seals are keg lub’ed. Then a quick rinse with Star-San prior to filling up again.

Sounds like I can back off my regime a bit. After a keg is kicked, I completely disassemble and use One Step, for an hour and then Sta-San for an hour using Mark’s Keg Washer II. Then I reassemble and let air dry. All seals are keg lub’ed. Then a quick rinse with Star-San prior to filling up again.

Better overkill than under kill. I'm just more pragmatic than OCD :)

Huh, I rinse the keg and clean it and then starsan it before I refill it. I don't go anywhere near as hard as some of you.

Depends on what's in it - if i dry hopped, i tear down just for the poppets as said before. If not, it seems i run 2 kegs of beer, then strip it down. In between, simply soak for 20 mins both ends - shake - rinse - rinse - sanitize - purge CO2 and push sanitizer out. Then leave pressure on it until needed - hoping still pressure when i do!

Here are my cleaning steps.
1. Take the keg apart
2. Prepare an alkali wash like Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW) for cleaning the keg
3. Soak the smaller parts like lid, gasket and valves into a bucket with alkali wash
4. Fill the keg with the alkali wash
5. Soak the beer keg in the alkali wash
6. Drain and rinse the alkali wash
7. Rinse the lid, gasket and valves while cleaning them with a dish scrubber
8. Make sure all the part of keg is dry and clean
9. Reassemble the beer keg

Back