(DONE) Extract/PM recipes and kettle losses

LarryBrewer

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Conversation in another section of the forum regarding extract batches and kettle losses resulted in some improvements to the water requirements section for extract and partial mash recipes.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=868

Batch size target (kettle or fermentor) which was previously available only for All Grain and BIAB recipes will now be available for extract and partial mash recipes. In addition, support for kettle dead space is added for extract/partial mash recipes in the water requirements section.

Note that most extract brewers do a partial boil and then top off, making this whole issue is moot. However, the system implicitly assumed that kettle losses (kettle dead space, misc losses, and hops absorption) would be minimal for these types of recipes. Those kettle losses are not captured by the efficiency number, and thus the OG would be higher in the calculator than in reality. To solve this, the water requirements section will now show a warning if the provided equipment profile has more than 2% kettle losses for the extract/pm batch in fermentor mode.

The system also assumes that extract/pm batches in batch target mode 'kettle' are full wort boils. Kettle losses will correctly factor into the calculated OG in that scenario.

This is great - thanks so much.

One glitch I've found is that when I set my target volume to "kettle" the brew session doesn't update properly when I add the brew day log entry. Specifically, the "wort volume" box in the batch performance record doesn't update (no green tick/batch volume; still says pending log entry).

I notice that in this case the wort volume box asks for a "boil complete" rather than a "brew day complete" log entry, though clicking on the link brings up a "brew day complete" entry to fill in, and the drop down event menu doesn't include "boil complete" as an option.

I just emailed you. We will need a screenshot or more details to narrow it down. Thanks for reporting this! We'll get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for emailing the screenshot, very helpful. We just pushed a fix live that takes care of this issue.

Extract batches in 'kettle' mode now get the 'Boil Complete' log entry option.

I'd like to point out, extract brewers set to 'kettle' mode will still need to input a 'brew day complete' log in order for the alcohol and attenuation section to complete itself. Brew day complete is the 'fermentor' volume. The gravity is normally the same gravity as recorded in the 'boil complete' log. This may seem redundant, but it leaves room for variations (like topping off a bit, adding sugar, measurement error, or anything else we haven't anticipated). You are probably safe to enter the same gravity in both log entries, unless any of those unusual variations I mentioned are involved.

Back