What's your next brew

Pretty much settled on a 6.3% IPL. Rahr 2 row, 4% C10 and 2% Victory. Bitter Cluster at 60, Magnum at 30 and Centennial at 10 and 1 for about 63 IBUs. Fermenting in the low '60s with 34/70.

Pretty much settled on a 6.3% IPL. Rahr 2 row, 4% C10 and 2% Victory. Bitter Cluster at 60, Magnum at 30 and Centennial at 10 and 1 for about 63 IBUs. Fermenting in the low '60s with 34/70.
interesting spin with the lager yeast.

interesting spin with the lager yeast.

Yea, 34/70 is still nice and clean well into the '60s. Didn't do any lagers until I heard the Brulosophy podcast about warm fermented lagers. Now I have one on tap from time to time. Thought, why not try an IPL. I've tasted a few that I liked.

Going to meet our youngest daughter for an extended weekend in Bend, OR sometime either late this month or early May to do some brewery visits. Looking forward to trying more IPLs.

IPA ---> 100% Golden Promise + US-05 + only Amarillo & Citra hops
Pale Ale ---> 92.5% Golden Promise + 7.5% Premium caramalt + US-05 + all Amarillo hops
Blonde Ale ---> 100% Golden Promise + US-05 + all Loral hops
Hefeweizen ---> 50% White Wheat + 50% Golden Promise + Danstar Munich Classic ( first time ) + Amarillo for 10 IBUs
Rye Pale Ale ---> 50% Rye + 45% Golden Promise + 5% Premium Caramalt + US-05 + all Simcoe hops

decided ive gitta get another pils conditioning and comp is mid next month:eek:. ha ha thisll test me will brew this weekend. i dont have percentages but itll be best pils malt and about 200g carahell mmm mmm and if course sazz on the aroma and mag for a good toungue tingle spritzy bitter coupled with a high sulphate water addition and cooked up with trusty 34/70. can just taste it now.

IMG_0206.PNG

With a vanilla bean addition during conditioning

Last edited:
Yea, 34/70 is still nice and clean well into the '60s. Didn't do any lagers until I heard the Brulosophy podcast about warm fermented lagers. Now I have one on tap from time to time. Thought, why not try an IPL. I've tasted a few that I liked.

Going to meet our youngest daughter for an extended weekend in Bend, OR sometime either late this month or early May to do some brewery visits. Looking forward to trying more IPLs.

A local brewery gave me some of their wort from their ipa. As an experiment I split the batch and used 34/70. I thought it turned out well.

Haven't decided. I want to try out the induction setup coming online as soon as we can get the wiring inspected so maybe something small. Wife loves New Belgium's 1554 - anyone have a good clone recipe? Otherwise I may end up doing a Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Something light and fizzy would be a better test of the system but hey, I have plenty of that on hand.

Let's try this again since I changed my mind last time. Will be about 10 days from now, but this will be the next brew.

Haven't decided. I want to try out the induction setup coming online as soon as we can get the wiring inspected so maybe something small. Wife loves New Belgium's 1554 - anyone have a good clone recipe? Otherwise I may end up doing a Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Something light and fizzy would be a better test of the system but hey, I have plenty of that on hand.

From Christian Holbrook at New Belgium: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/bours/1554_clone_update_with_new_belgiums_response/

Thanks! Will likely scale to 3 gal. as a test.

No problem. BTW, I really like your blog. Gave the wife a cheese making kit for Christmas and it's just sitting. She did refrigerate it. Seeing your Cream Cheese recipe reminded me of the kit. If she doesn't do something with it soon I'm going to repossess it and make some Cream Cheese. Thanks!

No problem. BTW, I really like your blog. Gave the wife a cheese making kit for Christmas and it's just sitting. She did refrigerate it. Seeing your Cream Cheese recipe reminded me of the kit. If she doesn't do something with it soon I'm going to repossess it and make some Cream Cheese. Thanks!
That cream cheese recipe works wonderfully! I'd recommend using the Flora Danica starter option and I've upped the cream to 1 qt. I wind up with a spreadable Neufchatel-like cheese, vastly different from store bought cream cheese and closer to the cream cheese I enjoyed so much living in Germany. The grandkids no longer want anything from a silver packet....

The 1554 recipe looks like it has the grain bill and the yeast correct but I'm going to have to play with the hop levels. New Belgium's site says they only use Nugget and they're at about 21 IBUs. The beer has bitterness but little hop character so I think my mods will be as follows:
- Cap the mash with the crystal and black patent at sparge.
- Use 21 IBUs of Nugget at 60 minutes. Come to think of it, I could even use Magnum.
- Mash high, 158 degrees.
- Ferment at 62 degrees, let rise to 68 degrees over time.

That cream cheese recipe works wonderfully! I'd recommend using the Flora Danica starter option and I've upped the cream to 1 qt. I wind up with a spreadable Neufchatel-like cheese, vastly different from store bought cream cheese and closer to the cream cheese I enjoyed so much living in Germany. The grandkids no longer want anything from a silver packet....

The 1554 recipe looks like it has the grain bill and the yeast correct but I'm going to have to play with the hop levels. New Belgium's site says they only use Nugget and they're at about 21 IBUs. The beer has bitterness but little hop character so I think my mods will be as follows:
- Cap the mash with the crystal and black patent at sparge.
- Use 21 IBUs of Nugget at 60 minutes. Come to think of it, I could even use Magnum.
- Mash high, 158 degrees.
- Ferment at 62 degrees, let rise to 68 degrees over time.

Please let me know how it turns out. That's one of my wife's favorites too. She'll be getting some fresh in the next few weeks when we go to Bend. .

Back