How to boil malt.

Carlito

Trial Member
Reaction score
Newby question here. I have a can of Coopers Brew A IPA. I was going to try to follow the directions exactly, however I could not get my hands on 1.5 Kg light dry malt. So I managed to get hold of 3 litres of a medium LME. The guy at the U Brew thought that would be about the right amount. Then as I was leaving he hollered that that I need to boil the LME. At the time I nodded and left. Now I realize that I have never done this before and not sure how it is done. Could anybody offer a step by step instruction? I have searched both this site and google, some suggest long boil some short boil ????? What ever I do it has to happen on the kitchen stove. Do I boil then add the Brewing extract?

Signed, confused ????

I don’t think you’d need to boil LME any more than you would need to boil DME. That said, either would dissolve better in water if you do. What comes in the kit? Is there hopped extract?

It's not much of a kit. Just a 1 litre can of brewing extract. I was guessing that the boil was just to sanitize but I'm a rookie at most of this stuff.

No need to boil it , its already sterile .
You can boil it if adding extra hops but not required .
Whatever you do don't boil the prehopped brew A can or your beer will be very bitter and likely put you off brewing for good .
Best way of getting the goo out of the cans is to leave them in a sink full of hot water for 15 mins at least , this softens the goo .
Much easier to open the bottom end of the can than the top as well

Really you want it hot so it pours easy, my first half dozen batches were literally taking one of those Coopers style kits and pouring it in a fermentor with water and yeast and walking away. Getting all the LME out of the cans is the hardest part.

It won't be the best beer in the world but the stuff I made was perfectly drinkable while I built my confidence up.

Usually the length of boil is dependent on the hop additions you incorporate. LME/DME doesn't need to be boiled any longer than it takes to dissolve...usually.

Back