What are your local beer trends?

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Another thread kind of brought this up, where sours and lagers are starting to gain a foothold in Australia, at least commercially. So, I was curious what other trends you're seeing, particularly for those outside the US.
From my limited perspective on the US east coast, session beers, sours, and more recently NEIPAs have been the next hot thing over the past few years.
Anyone else notice trends or new things in their local commercial beer scene?

I’m gonna make a prediction. In a year or two, every other beer will be a saison. IPA today, saison tomorrow.

Milkshake ipa everything.
Pastry stouts.
And one I'm enjoying. Lagers! (actually, I've enjoyed partaking in them all.)

Always fun to try to predict, but are there any current trends you've seen?

Craft lagers are picking up steam in the midwest.

All the breweries around me have been brewing or trying to brew New England style IPAs. One interesting brewery is doing Sour NEIPAs and adding lactose and other fruits and/or herbs and/or spices. They are unbelievable. Hudson Valley Brewery... Check them out.

the trends here has been anything wheat for the last 4 or 5 years, I personally just like a pale ale of any kind, funny story I was at a chain restaurant the other day and it had a big bar in the middle so I said to the youngest waitress Ive ever seen Ill take a pale ale, she came back and said we don't have that brand :(

Last year seemed to have a kolsch trend, this year looks like gose

I'm seeing ne ipa overload. Most places don't even know what they are trying to make. Everyone puts fruit in them. I've heard all kinds of reasons for this, from "that's where the juicy flavor comes from" to "the juice is where the haze comes from". And no one will listen when you explain the original ne ipas don't have fruit in them.

Of late, the trends in the PNW are Belgians (one new brewery in Central Oregon only makes Belgian beers), NEIPAs, hop amped double IPAs and “Juicy” IPAs. But the current kraft trend that seems poised for a long run is crushable light lagers. :)

Last edited:
Most of the breweries around me are sticking to their flagship stuff (no complaints here). I have noticed more light lagers and IPLs as of late, but only one or two NEIPAs on the boards.

In Oregon and Washington cask aged beers are spreading out along with some coming to the midwest.and every brewery in the northwest has to have a NEIPA to replace the sessions that are fading.

Mostly just a shitload of breweries coming up around here, which is cool. And a decent variety, with a lot of the new ones trying IPAs.

What are the local beer trends you ask? Unfortunately making and selling crappy beers. I purchase commercially made craft beers instead.

What are the local beer trends you ask? Unfortunately making and selling crappy beers. I purchase commercially made craft beers instead.

WoW! That's unfortunate.

In the south of Japan, a potato spirit called shochuu is king. They drink one glass of lager then shochuu with water. Craft beer bars are few and far between in my city. Even then whatever beer they serve is carb'd within an inch of its life.:( Generally, these guys drink lager anyway and change is slow...hence my stab at homebrew :cool:

Back