What are you drinking right now?

Nice, did you post the recipe yet?

Nice, did you post the recipe yet?
I thought so? Anyway, here's the recipe. I use Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops as it is a damn fine recipe. I mash low and long for a highly fermentable wort (148-152). I also ferment fairly cool with s-05 at 64f. It's usually about 3 wks to ferment out.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/566018/cream-of-three-crops-w-roasted-jalapeno
I roasted and peeled a lb of jalapeno to use last 10 min of boil. I left in during chilling.
You will have to judge how hot (or not) to make yours. I had originally planned another lb at keg time, but decided the roast and heat was perfect for my taste and just kegged and carbed.

I should add my efficiency is way up from when I first started using this recipe. I'm around 85% now so adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
seriously 1 pound of roasted jalapeno in a 5 gallon batch, is it spicy at all ?

seriously 1 pound of roasted jalapeno in a 5 gallon batch, is it spicy at all ?
Perfect for me. I love really hot spicy food, but I also want a beer I can drink and not be offensive and sear your lips off...and share with others. It has a heat. Plenty. You will know you are drinking a beer with peppers and for some, like my wife, it will be too much. But it's there and enjoyable. Hard to tell anyone how much peppers to use as they are always different in how much heat they pack. Right now, most peppers aren't as hot as they are in the later summer months. YMMV.

20180329_173549-1024x1365.jpg

I live right across the state line of Calif. and Russian River doesn't distribute here. Do you get Pliny locally?

I live right across the state line of Calif. and Russian River doesn't distribute here. Do you get Pliny locally?

Well, we did. The guy at the liquor store today told me this is probably the last we'll see of Russian River distribution in Colorado. Guess their distribution company was purchased by another company and discontinuing Colorado distro. Next month we'll see if that's true I suppose.

well I didn't expect that, I just blew through my first 5 gallons of English pub already. that stuff is tasty

Well, we did. The guy at the liquor store today told me this is probably the last we'll see of Russian River distribution in Colorado. Guess their distribution company was purchased by another company and discontinuing Colorado distro. Next month we'll see if that's true I suppose.

One of my brothers lives in San Francisco. I could ask him to get me some and bring it to Reno when he comes up for Hot August Nights, but he probably wouldn't know where to find real beer. All he drinks is Bud Light.

One of my brothers lives in San Francisco. I could ask him to get me some and bring it to Reno when he comes up for Hot August Nights, but he probably wouldn't know where to find real beer. All he drinks is Bud Light.
I would never admit the blood relation.......

Yea, I've seen a few other clone recipes too, but you know it isn't going to be the same as Vinnie's.
I agree 100%.
Nowadays there are better IPA's out there, but there is just something about being able to sit down and a enjoy a Pliny. I've always felt fortunate knowing that at the end of every month I could get Pliny. Not that I always did, but knew I could.

DB57428D-9414-4D94-A40D-3C3D329EFF1F.jpeg

Attachments

• F1101862-57E0-4D2B-B747-F708614833D0.jpeg
    F1101862-57E0-4D2B-B747-F708614833D0.jpeg
    878.2 KB · Views: 92
well well its amazing what a week or so can do of cold conditioning eh? this seeet malty lager has defined itself some more a deep caramel/prune slightly roasty flavour has taken a sweet taste this is going to get more complex in the right direction.
20180401_192705.jpg

Back