German Helles Lager

Robert that looks outstanding, job well done sir.
Gday Crunk I'm looking at brewing your helles well not quite as I forgot to order Carahell on my last stock up but got the caramunich 2 you mentioned last time I asked about it. What's your thoughts on just Pilsn Malt and caramunich 2 without the Carahell? My thoughts are the Carahell is for body and foam retention right?

What's your water profile for your helles please?
And what's your fermentation schedule I'm going to use Czech lager yeast.

Gday Crunk I'm looking at brewing your helles well not quite as I forgot to order Carahell on my last stock up but got the caramunich 2 you mentioned last time I asked about it. What's your thoughts on just Pilsn Malt and caramunich 2 without the Carahell? My thoughts are the Carahell is for body and foam retention right?

I would compensate the missing carahell with pilsner malt, carahell is for the caramel flavor, I'm using weyermanns barke pilsner malt which is doing great for the big fluffy head and foam.

I start with RO water add 1/2 tsp gypsum and 1/2 tsp calcium chloride per 5 gallons. I ferment at 48f until 4 points from final gravity, at that time I transfer to spunding keg and let it finish at 48f, no diacetyl rest needed, then cold crash at 31f for 3 weeks, check to see how it tastes, I would bet 5 to 6 weeks of lagering will do wonders for it instead of 3.

I would compensate the missing carahell with pilsner malt, carahell is for the caramel flavor, I'm using weyermanns barke pilsner malt which is doing great for the big fluffy head and foam.

I start with RO water add 1/2 tsp gypsum and 1/2 tsp calcium chloride per 5 gallons. I ferment at 48f until 4 points from final gravity, at that time I transfer to spunding keg and let it finish at 48f, no diacetyl rest needed, then cold crash at 31f for 3 weeks, check to see how it tastes, I would bet 5 to 6 weeks of lagering will do wonders for it instead of 3.

Cheers Crunk will probably give that a burl this weekend
Going to try that 50/50 ale Pilsner base combo then add the 4% ish caramunich 2 as per your recipe.

Cheers Crunk will probably give that a burl this weekend
Going to try that 50/50 ale Pilsner base combo then add the 4% ish caramunich 2 as per your recipe.

Remember I brew differently than you do my system is different so you may want to do the diacetyl rest if so just take it from 48 up to about 60 degrees maybe 62 for 2 to 3 days and then bring it back down to let it finish if you're going to spund, I haven't used any Czech lager yeast yet I've been using 34/70 I have so much 34/70 it's not funny I'm talking 16 8 Oz jars Plus a couple of half quart jars full.

Remember I brew differently than you do my system is different so you may want to do the diacetyl rest if so just take it from 48 up to about 60 degrees maybe 62 for 2 to 3 days and then bring it back down to let it finish if you're going to spund, I haven't used any Czech lager yeast yet I've been using 34/70 I have so much 34/70 it's not funny I'm talking 16 8 Oz jars Plus a couple of half quart jars full.
Yeah do i knoe it yours and my systems are at oposite end of the brewing spectrum. But im sure i can craft a similar result from my biab rig. Ill ferment the lager out as per usual do D rest then crash all in same fermentation vessal. Then rack to keg for some conditioning/lagering/drinking:).

Ive got two brews down so i shant be touching it for awhile lets hope ha ha.

Ill get some carahell for the next crunk helles i do;).

Yeah do i knoe it yours and my systems are at oposite end of the brewing spectrum. But im sure i can craft a similar result from my biab rig. Ill ferment the lager out as per usual do D rest then crash all in same fermentation vessal. Then rack to keg for some conditioning/lagering/drinking:).

Ive got two brews down so i shant be touching it for awhile lets hope ha ha.

Ill get some carahell for the next crunk helles i do;).

You won't regret it I promise.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/591537/landschaft-helles

@CRUNK hey this is what ive come up with tweeking your recipie without the carahell. Hows the grain percentages looking not to much caramunich 2 ive upped it a little to cover for the carahell also to up SRM. I took one mash step out too. And changed hops to what ive got. Is the IBU right? What about colour srm?

Let us know what you think crunk? Cheerz

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/591537/landschaft-helles

@CRUNK hey this is what ive come up with tweeking your recipie without the carahell. Hows the grain percentages looking not to much caramunich 2 ive upped it a little to cover for the carahell also to up SRM. I took one mash step out too. And changed hops to what ive got. Is the IBU right? What about colour srm?

Let us know what you think crunk? Cheerz

Looks good and solid, let her rip.

Looks good and solid, let her rip.
Well I know I'm a bit pedantic on this one but I think I'm getting ahead of my self...
I've got Ozarks blonde in primary in ferm chamber ATM it's almost into secondary yeast phase now plus I've done my first culture of yeast and I'm thinking I've gotta step it up again it hasn't been used in 3 months and I just want to make sure it's ready for your Stella brew mate. Lastly I'm going to order in some Carahell for this brew if I'm going to brew (your Helles) I need the Carahell! It just wouldn't be the same...

So won't be brewing this till next weekend that way I can let that current brew Finnish free up ferm chamber and get yeast fit and healthy for my lager season ;). So I'll stick to your percentages of pils Carahell and caramunich 2 BTW that Barke Pils sure gets some PPG heh?:p

Creamy foam from the barke also. If your ordering carahell you may want to get some 34/70 also.

If your using the barke pils, you won't need to blend pale ale malt your looking for approximately 1.9 lovibond from the base malt.

If your using the barke pils, you won't need to blend pale ale malt your looking for approximately 1.9 lovibond from the base malt.
Ive got a sack of bestmalz pilsner malt my house ale malt us bairds pale ale malt at around 3-4 L so will just stick with pilsner malt in this for now i think. I found out the hard way that that bairds ale malt has a super low DP last brew using 1kg rice i was wondering why i got so crappy conversion there wasn't enough Diastic power to convert it all.

Pays to read the malt specks...:rolleyes:

(Youve got the barke pils ppg @138ppg) you did that on purpose:)?

Last edited:

Got an update on the helles yet trialben??

Got an update on the helles yet trialben??
Sure Doo Crunk see your that In tune with this helles that even from across the broad ditch that sepperates our great countries that you knew fermentation was about done:p!

I took my first sample this morning after lifting the lid on the ferm chamber and noticing a still airlock 1.008 she's sitting at a healthy 83% fermentation that took a good 24 hrs to get rolling but rumbled on for four days nicely. I've raised temps to a D rest of 20c. I'm gunna leave it here for a few more days to Finnish off then drop her down to 0c.

Sample was clean smooth and a little malty. So far so good...

Sure Doo Crunk see your that In tune with this helles that even from across the broad ditch that sepperates our great countries that you knew fermentation was about done:p!

I took my first sample this morning after lifting the lid on the ferm chamber and noticing a still airlock 1.008 she's sitting at a healthy 83% fermentation that took a good 24 hrs to get rolling but rumbled on for four days nicely. I've raised temps to a D rest of 20c. I'm gunna leave it here for a few more days to Finnish off then drop her down to 0c.

Sample was clean smooth and a little malty. So far so good...

Oh yeah you are gonna enjoy it. Well done sir.

Assuming all-grain and not extract brewing, none of the Cara-malts is necessary for head or body. Mash temperature alone will give you what you want. For a crisp lager or ale, I'll use a 148 degree mash for fermentables and add a dextrin rest at 156 to 160 to convert non-fermentables for head retention and body. There are more complex ways to make it even better, but that works. Yeast makes a huge difference in body as well as flavor. I make a light cream ale with both lager and ale yeast and that particular ale yeast adds tremendous mouthfeel while the lager yeast helps with attenuation and augments the malt in the flavor profile.
How long a mash and a dextrin rest would you recommend? Also, which yeast would you recommend for this style?

id use 34/70 i used czech lager yeast on Crunks helles but will use 34/70 next time as i found the czech lager yeast dried it out to much and i lost some maltiness.

How long a mash and a dextrin rest would you recommend? Also, which yeast would you recommend for this style?
I'm pretty sure I end up mashing too long at 148, but I've often done 45 minutes and then moved to 158 or so. It's totally possible that most, if not all the starches are converted, but I think that higher rest finds something because my efficiency usually goes up, especially if I have trouble getting to mash-out temp and end up hanging out at 160-168 for a long time before denaturing at 170.
I've used S-23 dry yeast a lot, but this is a perfect time of year to get WLP860 seasonal Helles yeast. I used that for my first lagers...very good yeast.

Back