Permanent Haze In My Beer

SwampWater

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My light ale has a thick haze which will not go away after adding my usual addition of Gelatin. I use 100% RO water with mineral additions. I don't use a PH meter but rely on the predicted PH from the water calculator on this site.

Here are my numbers for my Blonde Ale

CA - 61.7
MG - 10.4
CI - 76.5
S04 - 85.4
PH - 5.6

Was my PH too high? Would that be the reason for my soup like haze in my beer even at room temp? This is the first brew I have had that will not clear.

Thanks,

SwampWater

What type of yeast? Could be something going on there.

Cool it down real good for a week and see if that helps.

The yeast was WLP060 American Ale Blend. I have used this a few times since last winter. They all cleared very well with basically the same recipe. Even after 2 weeks in kegs it didn't clear. I did notice that for some reason it was very hazy after the 60 min boil. Maybe I had conversion issues or something. I have brewed twice since then and the post boil was clear as usual. I went to get my Iodine and it had dried up.

That is a tough one. Chill haze is normal for home brewers. If you brewed the same exact recipe then it might have been a yeast issue.

I'm thinking process. I usually do not use finings and get bright beers. Some questions to help diagnose the problem:

- Are you doing extract, partial mash or all-grain?
- What did you do differently this batch over previous (assumed bright) batches?
- Are there any off-flavors in the beer such as astringency, acidic tastes, phenols, etc?
- Did you use any unusual ingredients such as syrups, honey or fruits in the beer?

If you were getting bright batches before, it's important to localize what changed. I rather doubt your water quality changed that rapidly and in general, water chemistry is one of the last places to look - other possible errors or causes of haze or flaws are much more likely, particularly if your beers have been successful in the past.

Found this, perhaps you've seen it.

About the address, looks like you have to copy/paste what's between the 's into your browser url field, to ...up.com/FileCabinet/TheNatureBeer_Hazes[1].pdf

Thanks for the replies. I do need a bigger wort chiller though.

Back