Bunch of Random Hops IPA Recipe Help

FLIPADELPHIA

Trial Member
Reaction score
So, got a bunch of somewhat random hops lying around begging to be used and no clue what would go best together or even best as a single hop IPA. They are the following:

1oz Millenium, 1oz Columbus, 8oz Bramling Cross, 4oz Cascade, 4oz Centennial, 4oz Zythos, 2oz Citra, and 4 oz Falconers Flight 7Cs.

The grains I have available currently are 10lb 6-row, 2lb 2-row, 1lb Cara 40, and 2lb Flaked Oats. Planning to use S-04 yeast. 3 gallon batch preferred. So for grain bill was thinking: 6lb 6-row, 1lb flaked, and 0.5lb Cara 40.

I've seen a few kit recipes that use Zythos as a single hop IPA and another recipe that uses Millenium at 60 and the rest Falconers (but believe the non-7C variety). Any ideas what here could work? Prefer to keep it at no more then 3 hop varieties (not including only bittering hops). Thanks for any help? Still getting used to recipe building.

Toss it all in!

But don't some Hops just work better in certain situations? Like just because they're dual purpose hops doesn't necessarily mean they work great outside of 10mins and under. If I was to do a "just throw em all in" what would work best where? Since all except Millenium and Columbus are pretty much dual purpose? Would certain ones be best whirlpool/steep only? Best as late hop but before FO? Dry hop only? I'm still fairly new to recipe building so don't really wanna just throw ounces and ounces of Hops in randomly at random points lol

Maybe use the highest acid hop for bittering and throw a bunch of citrus and earthy hops in late to get some good IPA numbers and start brewing.

It’s not rocket science, that would be too easy. :)

I was thinking maybe something like:

0.25 oz Columbus @ 60
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra @ 5
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra 20 min whirlpool @ 170F
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, FF7Cs @ 48-72 hours dry hop
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, FF7Cs @ End of Fermentation dry hop

Thoughts? My thoughts on switching to FF7Cs for the dry Hops is because the blend already contains Citra and Cascade in it so it will supply both extra Cascade and some Citra along with the other C Hops. Or would it be better to switch that and make it solely Citra for the DH and FF7Cs for the boil?

I would definitely keep that Citra for DH only! :D It is a beautiful hop just for that.

Falconers and Falconers 7c are both good for late/dry hop. I'd use the Columbus for bittering because you can use less since its high aa. Unless you love the flavor. I've never used millennium, but all the rest would work great for flavor and aroma, mixed or single

So, the 8oz Bramling Cross just arrived and somehow I was also shipped with it a free 8oz pack of Target hops. Any use for these here or save them for something else later on?

You could do an esb with the target and brambling cross. If you are up for experimenting use them with the citra and cascade, but I'm not sure how that would work. From what I've heard they are more like a fuggle hop with the English hop profile, might not mix with the fruity American ones.

Back