Mash pH always 4.8

I’ll tell you the issues with ph meters, if you look at the link you posted and click on the pic showing the bottom you'll see a plastic bubble protecting the sensor, that plastic degrades using it in hot wort over time and changes the readings, that style of meter would wear out the same as a cheap $10 model that I buy using it in hot wort
I just buy a cheap one every year and throw away the old, so a good one won’t be that style but the one you’re looking at is pretty good just cool the wort first
When you say a “cheap” model.... like go to Walmart and grab one from the kitchen/housewares section [sans the plastic bubble] ?

I buy the yellow ones from amazon with temperature correction 12 to 20 now I think, also you need to calibrate it every so often and need extra solution

I’ve not used a pH meter since chemistry class back in high school. I don’t mind spending a few extra dollars, but is accuracy tied to price or is durability tied to price. What I am driving at here is it necessary to spend $100+ or will a $50 pH meter serve the needs of a home brewer.

Sub $50 meter:
https://hannainst.com/hi98107-phep-...xssZFJeGQkR8MBzC83MF-QK2Cxw02IVBoCcfwQAvD_BwE

Going to be brewing a Lemondrop Saison next next weekend and going to obtain a pH meter ahead of time.

@Nosybear i have often wondered the same thing, if the color of wort would effect the color of the pH reading.
+/

The issue with the hanna isn't that it's "bad"- but the accuracy to .1 is the issue. It sounds like a small amount, but if it's off a little, the difference could be quite large in the actual pH. You need precision to .01 with an accuracy of +/- .1. That hanna meter is very stable- but the calibration with it is not accurate. It "grabs" the calibration too quickly, and you can't get a truly accurate calibration. So between that, and the precision only to .1, it's not a good meter for brewing.

This meter is very popular with home brewers. Mid range in pricing and a good solid meter with 2 point auto calibration and a temperature probe as. Whatever meter you get, be sure to use the manufacturer recommended storage solution.
Sounds like the MW-102 I mentioned earlier. Best thing about it is the probes are replaceable. Worst thing about it is it lists for over $100 US. Jeffpn's approach, buy inexpensive meters and toss them when done, probably is about the same cost as replacing probes but hey, the environment and all....

Sounds like the MW-102 I mentioned earlier. Best thing about it is the probes are replaceable. Worst thing about it is it lists for over $100 US. Jeffpn's approach, buy inexpensive meters and toss them when done, probably is about the same cost as replacing probes but hey, the environment and all....

That's the one. Forgot to paste the link in the post. Just fixed it. Thanks for the reminder :)

AW. I just found out I have a shitty PH meter. :(

Attachments

• 8A0D4C45-5C0B-4CF9-B05E-EF0F56890C5A.jpeg
    8A0D4C45-5C0B-4CF9-B05E-EF0F56890C5A.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 110
I have a pack of those too. They're not great.

i know the one i bought about a year or so ago you van replace the sensor ive just been to lazy to track it doen and order one. to tell you the truth ive just been pre loading brewersfriends recommended water ajustments without using a meter i just load grist from recipie select ph adjustment to 5.2 5.3 and add recommemded acid. so far ive been pleased with my blind approach to PH correction. ive been getting great conversion in the mash great clarity in beers and above average 80% attenuation from happy yeast. beh:p

i know the one i bought about a year or so ago you van replace the sensor ive just been to lazy to track it doen and order one. to tell you the truth ive just been pre loading brewersfriends recommended water ajustments without using a meter i just load grist from recipie select ph adjustment to 5.2 5.3 and add recommemded acid. so far ive been pleased with my blind approach to PH correction. ive been getting great conversion in the mash great clarity in beers and above average 80% attenuation from happy yeast. beh:p

I agree. After comparing actual pH readings with Bru'n Water in the past, found that they correspond within a point or 2. After my pH meter took a dump, just use the water calculator now, with good results. Have yet to try the BF calculator.

I used to use the strip but after I bought a meter I found out the strip are unreliable at best!

Back