1 Gallon brewer

Conservation Cop

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have been dabbling with 1 gallon brew kits for a few years now. Have a couple of the small big mouth bubblers and mostly buy kits from Nothern Brewer. I really don't have the space (or desire really) to get bigger than the 1 galloners. But, I would really like to try some different recipes and was really excited to just discover this site. I need some advice/thoughts on what to do. I was going to check out some extract recipes and just cut the amounts for 1 gallon. Does that seem doable? I've not looked at buying ingredients separately so I don't know if this is even really doable. Tell me what you think. Tahnsk

It's very easy to do...use the search function to find a recipe that looks right and use the scaling feature in the "Tools" tab on the recipe.

It depends on what you like but one recipe that I modified a bit and scaled down to my 2-1/2 gallon extract brewing is the spring saison below. It turned out great and not too fruity despite the orange peel; refreshing and finishes dry. Be warned though this took 5 weeks (typical for the 3724) in primary before it was ready to bottle. If you want to speed it up I've heard other saison yeasts will finish more quickly although the flavor will be a bit different.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/602022/spring-saison

It's very easy to do...use the search function to find a recipe that looks right and use the scaling feature in the "Tools" tab on the recipe.

Those tools seem very useful.

Reactions: J A
Welcome to the community.
I am in the same situation as you and always brew up 7-9 litres, which is somewhere between one and two gallons. I really enjoy it and have put together a whole bunch of recipes.
It really isn't hard to brew small and it doesn't have to take up that much room.
I scaled up a bit from one gallon because I found it a lot of effort for not a lot of beer.
These guys on here are great and I'm sure you'll not struggle for advice.

The amount of effort compared to the volume you get out of it is nowhere near linear in scale. Brewing 500 litres doesn't take significantly longer or more effort than 20 litres. Just the equipment involved and trying to make money brewing big batches.

Right. In fact, I know brewers who went pro because it's no harder to brew ten barrels than ten gallons.

Yeah the only real trick is equipment and selling it once you've made it.

Absolutely. I have been considering going into it for a while and am ready to scale up. It's just space...and wife...and money....;)

Priming for small batches is my big question. By the way, i am in my beginning stages of brewing (actually done 2 batches and I'm hooked). I see the little fiz drops, but what about table sugar, honey, etc. From internet searches I see 2cups of water boiled with your priming solution, then pour in bottling bucket. But what about for 1 or 2 gallon batches? 2 cups and solution seems like too much. Any info would be great.

I’d probably use 1/4 cup, maybe 1/2 cup, of water and an ounce(?) of priming sugar for the batch. Or you could use those tabs, which I believe are sized for a bottle.

I’d probably use 1/4 cup, maybe 1/2 cup, of water and an ounce(?) of priming sugar for the batch. Or you could use those tabs, which I believe are sized for a bottle.
Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at it.

I'd just use the calculator on this site to tell me how much sugar to use. All you then need is enough water to dissolve it.

You’re just mad because the instructions in the link I posted say not to rehydrate the yeast! :p :D

You’re just mad because the instructions in the link I posted say not to rehydrate the yeast! :p :D
Not even I would rehydrate yeast for a one-gallon batch, sir! (but I do now have a three-liter Erlenmeyer for starters)
I use four and a half ounces, more or less, for five gallons. An ounce for a gallon, about right, maybe a little lively in the outcome.

Back