Attempt at all grain session IPA

I would drop the Black Malt, CaraPils and the Crystal 40L.

I would only keep the Pale Malt, Honey malt and Flaked oats. Seeing you will mash high, the CaraPils, black Malt and Crystal 40L, are not required.

The hopping looks OK, albeit a bit underpowered even for a session IPA, but I believe a cleaner grain bill, will let the hops shine more.

I agree on the Black Malt and CaraPils...Black Malt has no place in an IPA and the CaraPils is redundant. A lot of folks use C-40 in an IPA so that's personal preference. I've been using CaraMunich I because I perceive it to be a better flavor. I suppose the amount of Oats is about right if you're going for a more NE-style brew. Personally, I don't get the appeal for thick, murky IPAs but that seems to be the fashion these days. I like your hop schedule. Some might want to up the late or push the IBUs up a hair, but for a session beer, I think the balance will be nice.

the ounce black malt isn't for color or flavor. Its a left over trick or myth that adding a small amount during mash helps with protein conversion in a single stage mash. fwiw it cam from a professional brewer here in NH.
btw even the New England pale ales are cloudy now.

The cleaner grain bill of 2 row, oats and small amount of honey malts sound good
I upped the amount of hops in whirlpool to 1 oz or would I be better with upping the bittering hops in boil

upload_2018-2-21_6-29-48.png

I like that! ;)

so why not lets try it what could go wrong - thanks all for the help

Reactions: J A

Back