Cream Ale v. Blonde Ale

Blonde ale + Lactose = Cream Ale?
cream ale is a corn - wheat - unmalted barley type beer lite bodied beer maybe throw some rice in to boot. ive brewed but one cream ale sticks vanilla cream ale. try Ozarks Blondie youll be impressed:p! my tweeked version below. maybe the recipie creator can flick a link to his very own.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/550872/blondie

see pic for inspiration..
20180210_181727.jpg

Last edited:
Cream ale is a misnomer. There's no "creaminess" to it - it's basically the same as an American Lager. I prefer to brew mine with a little more mouthfeel which I get by offsetting the high percentage of (body-thinning) corn with a dextrin rest and yeast selection.
It's a style sometimes used as a base for different flavors like orange and vanilla, but at it's best, it's a straight-up grain and hops sort of beer. If I call my cream ale something else, most people like it better. It's very odd.
Here's an excerpt from the BJCP:
History:
A sparkling or present-use ale that existed in the1800s and survived prohibition. An ale version of the American lager style. Produced by ale brewers to compete with lager brewers in Canada and the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest states. Originally known as sparkling or present use ales, lager strains were (and sometimes still are) used by some brewers, but were not historically mixed with ale strains. Many examples are kräusened to achieve carbonation. Cold conditioning isn’t traditional, although modern brewers sometimes use it.
Characteristic Ingredients:
American ingredients most commonly used. A grain bill of six -row malt, or a combination of six-row and North American two-row, is common. Adjuncts can include up to 20% maize in the mash, and up to 20% glucose or other sugars in the boil. Any variety of hops can be used for bittering and finishing.
Style Comparison:
Similar to a Standard American Lager,
but with more character.

a blond ale cream ale or golden ale are all the same thing, something thats on my website says

One of the most approachable styles, a blonde or Cream ale is an easy-drinking beer that is visually appealing and has no particularly dominating malt or hop characteristics. Rounded and smooth, it is an American classic known for its simplicity. Sometimes referred to as “golden ale.” , and may be fermented with lager or ale yeast.

Quite simply, it's an American light lager fermented with ale yeast at ale temperatures, well, maybe a little cooler.

I brew mine with a little more European Pilsner-malty character and hop profile, but when I submitted a well-lagered "session" version of it for a club competition, some of the guys swore somebody had snuck in a ringer and it was the best Coors Light they'd ever tasted. :D:D
I usually think of Blonde Ales as having a slightly more light caramel flavor in the malt and definitely leaning toward American NW or maybe English-cross or nobel-cross hops like Willamette, Crystal, Sterling, sometimes juiced up with a little Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, etc.

I went with:

Peanut BEERter Blonde Ale

Fermentables :
2.5lbs - American pale 2 row
.5lbs - Honey malt
.5lbs - White Wheat

Hops:
.25oz Mt. Hood - 60 minutes

Additions:
Irish moss
3oz - P2 powder - boil 5 minutes
.75oz PB Extract

I went with:

Peanut BEERter Blonde Ale

Fermentables :
2.5lbs - American pale 2 row
.5lbs - Honey malt
.5lbs - White Wheat

Hops:
.25oz Mt. Hood - 60 minutes

Additions:
Irish moss
3oz - P2 powder - boil 5 minutes
.75oz PB Extract
Looks like a great starting point to me! I'd lose the extract and increase the powder - extracts usually taste rather fake to me - but your recipe looks like a great platform to develop a peanut beer from. Since this looks like a gallon test batch - have you considered doing extract? I use it for test batches and it saves me some time.

I’m going to To both just to make sure I get the flavor. I’m just experimenting with 1gal batches to get my feet wet with all grain

cream ale is a corn - wheat - unmalted barley type beer lite bodied beer maybe throw some rice in to boot. ive brewed but one cream ale sticks vanilla cream ale. try Ozarks Blondie youll be impressed:p! my tweeked version below. maybe the recipie creator can flick a link to his very own.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/550872/blondie

see pic for inspiration..
View attachment 2512
ohhh, this is indeed a nice Head! :) I´ve read that barley flakes can help with head Retention..ist it really true?

ohhh, this is indeed a nice Head! :) I´ve read that barley flakes can help with head Retention..ist it really true?
If a mash is done properly with most any malt head retention won't be a problem. A little CaraPils is helpful if you're not confident of your mashing scheduld. Flaked Barley can add body but you wouldn't necessarily want to bulk up a lighter beer like a Cream Ale. It's used a lot in bigger beers like stouts and porters and is great in a Pale or IPA.

It's negligible isn't it? I haven't used it for a few brews now and so far head retention has been fine will see about upcoming Pilsner. I give most mashes a high 71ish C dextrin rest to Finnish it off I'm believing this is helping with body and head retention:rolleyes:.

Reactions: J A
I've started adding some carapils, particularly to my German beers. Can't tell a difference in either flavor or head retention.

I might put some in some recipes for the next bit, but mostly because I have most of a kilo of it just sitting there.

Back