NZ Hopped Ipa

C-60 is a little dark and raisin-y. I'd consider C-40 or CaraMunich I. I like Victory malt in combination with that, too. It lends a nutty-toasty character that supports the hops in a different way than the sweeter crystal malt alone. Your percentage is about right. I wouln't go higher even though up to 10% is typical - the Maris Otter will add some sweetness to the malt profile as well so you'd want to be careful of overdoing it.
Looks like a nice, very drinkable IPA.

C-60 is a little dark and raisin-y. I'd consider C-40 or CaraMunich I. I like Victory malt in combination with that, too. It lends a nutty-toasty character that supports the hops in a different way than the sweeter crystal malt alone. Your percentage is about right. I wouln't go higher even though up to 10% is typical - the Maris Otter will add some sweetness to the malt profile as well so you'd want to be careful of overdoing it.
Looks like a nice, very drinkable IPA.

Will revisit the crystal malt selection. I guess it could be too much now you've pointed it out. I can get cara munich so that's an option. Thanks !

It's not unheard of to use C-60... like ten thousands uses listed in the recipes on this site in IPA style in general - average usage 6%. A filtered search shows 80 recipes that are very similar to yours in ABV and list C-60 as an ingredient Clicking on a few of those shows that most are in the 3-4% range and of the recipes that have been brewed multiple times, only one uses as much as 6%.
It not be the most methodical way of exploring an ingredient, but I've always found that if I search the recipes listed here and go through a casual "vetting" process, I can get a pretty good idea of how something is being utilized by successful brewers in styles similar to what I'm putting together.
All that being said, if you brewed as is, you wouldn't be disappointed. ;)

I never consider using any crystal malts in my IPA...they always get in the way of hop flavor, which is the point of IPAs. If I really want any malty backbone I just use Weyermann Munich Type 2 (10L) at around 5-10%..

Just my opinion... For malts you could just go Maris Otter, nothing else, unless you want some adjunct for a slightly softer feel, especially with NZ hops..

And what you really want to focus on is your target water profile, and do yourself a favor and build up from DI or RO water.

Keep your calcium around 100, 130 is fine. Magnesium and Sodium should stay around 10, and your chloride to sulfate ratio will make a big impact. For really softer juicier type things, go like 200:75 on Chloride to Sulfate. For a much sharper bite like a west coast IPA, go 50:275 Chloride to Sulfate

I find the pale ale-IPA family to be one of the few places I use crystal, particularly C60. The maltiness really rounds out the hops and provides a great backbone for them.

Reactions: J A
Yeah...you gotta make the hops shine, but without a malty balance, a big IPA can get too bitter and less enjoyable, IMO. Not that a lot of cloying sweetness is good, either. I tend toward mostly base malt and a fair amount of Munich with about 5% total of specialty malts, usually CaraMunich/CaraVienne and including something like Victory, Biscuit, Honey Malt.

I never consider using any crystal malts in my IPA...they always get in the way of hop flavor, which is the point of IPAs. If I really want any malty backbone I just use Weyermann Munich Type 2 (10L) at around 5-10%..

Just my opinion... For malts you could just go Maris Otter, nothing else, unless you want some adjunct for a slightly softer feel, especially with NZ hops..

And what you really want to focus on is your target water profile, and do yourself a favor and build up from DI or RO water.

Keep your calcium around 100, 130 is fine. Magnesium and Sodium should stay around 10, and your chloride to sulfate ratio will make a big impact. For really softer juicier type things, go like 200:75 on Chloride to Sulfate. For a much sharper bite like a west coast IPA, go 50:275 Chloride to Sulfate

Think this may be something for future brews. Not sure what I'm doing with water additions so I could end up making it worse. I was going to check pH on this occasion. I'm trying to work on a new variable each time so I can absorb what it is I'm learning. There are a lot of variables !!

Cheers

Matt

I'm trying to work on a new variable each time so I can absorb what it is I'm learning. There are a lot of variables !!

Cheers

Matt
I think that is the key, one variable at a time, otherwise you won’t know which change made the difference.

Back