Brewing an English Mild

LarryBrewer

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Brew day today!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... nnered-ale

This recipe gets rave reviews on HBT:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/mild-ma ... -us-52776/

Only differences - went with Wyeast Whitbread 1099, adding 4oz of maltodextrin, and amped up the water profile to Balanced II, which is double the mineral levels. I want to see just how malty I can get a 3.2% beer. Shooting for a mash pH of 5.4.

The 1099 Whitbread starter was kicked off last night around 8pm, and is already settling out. Was going to brew this weekend.

Smells darn good in here. Warm at 78F. 100% conversion efficiency, thank you advanced water calculator!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,531
Kegged this on Sunday. Already last night it is drinkable - only 12 days since I brewed it. Very happy with how it turned out.

The Wyeast 1099 dropped crystal clear without a cold crash. I don't get any of the weird estery/woody flavors I got from a similar batch which used S-04.

Cool to brew a mild. Not enough micros brew it.. I guess it doesn't have enough hops. This fall I'm planning a single mash 3 gallon porter/5 gallon mild; make the porter with first runnings; make the mild with the rest. Calculate my need of gravity points, measure and use DME to up if needed. I do one mash/sparge and get two batches out of it.

Awesome, and a historically accurate way to brew these styles too.

The mild does have a very British, earthy kind of flavor. Notably the Fuggle hops.

There is a brewey here in PDX called Base Camp that does one. I plan to try it soon.

Mild is a rare beast indeed over here in the UK the vast majority of the micros never brewing milds.A local brewery to me Hobsons do brew a lovely example which won champion beer of Britain a few years back.In my youth a lot of the old timers drank pints of mixed half bitter half mild anyway good to see mild being brewed.

Yards Brewery in Philadelphia has a really nice one (Pugilistic Ale), but you have to either find it somewhere that has it on cask, or get the barkeep to pour it in a warm glass. They tend to put everything here in iced glasses and serve it way to cold. You can get it in bottles year round.

Lola's Dirty Blonde is likely an American twist on a Mild - all American malts but same general outcome.

Back