Water effect on brewing?

Fadi Deeb

Trial Member
Reaction score
Does water specification TOTAL HARDNESS or PERCENTAGE OF SALT Have any effect for brewing process?

Apparently so. Burton water is famous for being very hard and contributing considerably to the flavour of beer. Harder water accentuates the hops or something.

Water Ph also affects mash efficiency.

I'm not far enough down the brewing rabbit hole and into messing with water to really provide much more than that.

BrunWater offers probably the most knowledge on water: https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

You can also use the spreadsheet to calculate the additions of different minerals. I also recommend getting a pH meter, if you are seriously thinking in dabbling with the brewing water.

Yes it matters it'll turn a dull beer into a lively one IMHO.

The short answers to your question are yes and yes. Now to the long answer.... I'd read some of the references above, as the long answer is far too technical and long-winded for this post. If you can get your hands on "How to Brew" by John Palmer or the Brewing Elements series book "Water", both will take you as far down the rabbit hole as you want to go without paying hundreds per hour for college-level chemistry classes.

i'm sure i'll fine tune my water use in future brews. i'm doing my first fermentation right now and used a well known brand of bottled water from loosiana. the same abita beer uses.

Back