Can I make this freezer a fermentation chamber?

Is it possible?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Use a temperature controller.

Nice website you linked. They sell freezers. I wonder how many they have to sell? Welcome to the forum.

I use an stc-1000. Others use an Inkbird.

honestly those are a little pricey just for home brew but if its yours go for it mine just cost $200 with the temp controller, those are in the thousands

so this is the new plug and play controller, the key with these is figuring out the settings because each freezer or fridge has slow or fast compressors and you need to set it up accordantly to yours for a delay plus you have to set up the time to stop and start based on the temp to prevent the overshooting, once you figure it out it works perfect

https://www.homebrewing.org/Inkbird...MI8retrsTM2AIVgrfACh2IRgTxEAQYAiABEgLa3PD_BwE

Should the probe go on the carboy or secured to the side of the freezer interior?

either way is fine, if in the carboy you'll need a thermal well, but in the freezer air space is fine too

I tape mine to side of fermentation bucket covered with insulation. Haven't been fused YET about more dialled in temp control I think a stable temp which in yeast specific ferment temps is good enough for me.

The controller in the link OMB provides works well for me. I have two of them. Like others, I just locate the controller temp probe on the side or top of the fermenter (carboy or bucket). Of course you will need a heat source wrapped around your fermenter (firmwrap, belt, etc) that plugs into the heating side of your controller.

That will be a nice setup with the door on the front. Lifting 6 gallon batches into a top loading chest freezer is a pain in the back.

Enjoy! :)

I actually set my fermenter on top of the temp probe and it works well and its easy

The Inkbird controller is great, you can't beat $35 for an easy to use dual stage unit that is ready to go out of the box. The only possible problem is that they have a maximum output rating of 1000w, and those freezers look like they might draw more than that. The information plate on the freezer should tell you the maximum power usage, as long as you are under 1000w (about 10A) you are good to go.
I tape the probe to the side of my carboy and cover it with insulation so that it reads the temp in the carboy as closely as possible. Others have had good results with different probe placements, try a few and see what works best for you.

Back