Braggot Fermentation

Brewer #108181

Premium Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I have a question about Braggot. I brew and I have a neighbor who makes mead. Naturally he came to me with wanting to make a Braggot(because I have all the equipment lol). I wanted to help him out and make one, the problem is i leave in a week to go back to work for about 3 months. I don’t really have time to show him how to do everything needed and was wondering since its a beer/mead mix could i just leave it fermenting that long or would it totally ruin it? I do have a ss brewtech conical i could keep it in to be totally sealed

I don't know if there is any agreement on how long a beer can remain in the fermenter. The general rule is about 6 weeks. However others say that they have left a beer in the fermenter for up to two months without any problem. Most say not to go over two months, although there are anecdotal reports of beer remaining in the fermenter for three months without any noticeable side effect. I assume that it depends a lot on cleanliness, constant temperature and temperatures that are not too high. If the braggot is at a higher alcohol level, that may also work in its favor.

Thus it is a bit of a gamble - you may be stretching it a little. You may get some off-flavors, or you may end up with no noticeable side effects.

I don't know if there is any agreement on how long a beer can remain in the fermenter. The general rule is about 6 weeks. However others say that they have left a beer in the fermenter for up to two months without any problem. Most say not to go over two months, although there are anecdotal reports of beer remaining in the fermenter for three months without any noticeable side effect. I assume that it depends a lot on cleanliness, constant temperature and temperatures that are not too high. If the braggot is at a higher alcohol level, that may also work in its favor.

Thus it is a bit of a gamble - you may be stretching it a little. You may get some off-flavors, or you may end up with no noticeable side effects.
I'd rack it off the yeast cake and trub at about a month but once you've done that, you can let it "secondary" as long as you'd like.

Rack it after a week and let it sit. It will be fine. Make sure the airlock does not dry out and expose the brew to air or you will have something a bit vinegary.

Back