Whatever you're doing to the edit recipe UI, please stop!

z-bob

Premium Member
Reaction score
The input fields (like for the amounts of grain or water) now have little up/down arrow but they increment and decrement in 1/100ths (which is useless and annoying) and the backspace key no longer works for editing the contents. And switching between ounces and pounds does not convert.

I'm afraid to try metric units.

It was working just fine a few hours ago.

In "my" ui there is the input field as usual, paired with a slider which makes it possible to give the grain bill in percentage...that's a new one and would be great if it works. I haven't tested it though, only checked it out.

Also the horizontal slider doesn't work well.

Example...
I added two malts, one at 3000g and the other at 1000g. Result 75% and 25%. Seems good. I move the second malt slider to the right, the result is the second malt is now at 2. something grams and the first malt goes to almost 4000g. Then I move the first malt slider to the left, now both are almost zero grams.

Ok I can see what is intended and it would be good if it worked, but it doesn't for me. I believe what is is supposed to do is add or subtract from the malt you are sliding and making adjustments to any other fermentables in relation to what is being changed, while keeping the total weight the same.

Using RB in the traditional way still works though, so I'm happy enough.

Edit: If it help I'm using Google Chrome Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 7

Last edited:
I did another test of the horizontal slider...

I entered 2000g for malt one and 2000g for malt two, so 50% and 50%.

I then move the slider for malt two to the far right.

Result: Malt one 1998g 99.8%. Malt two 4g 0.2%.... I would expect the opposite result

Then I move the slider for malt one to the center (50%)...

Result: Malt one 1g 16.7%. Malt two 4.996g 83.3%

So I started with 4000g total and with two inputs ended up with just under 6g

While I'm fiddling, might as well say....

The up/down weight increments for grams is 0.1g. I don't think anyone is going to weigh malt to 1g, let alone a tenth of a gram. Perhaps for grams it should be 5g increments. Also when using the horizontal slider, grams are shown to 3 decimal places, again wouldn't it be better to round to the nearest 5g.

Hi, more feedback on this change from me.

The input screen for editing fermentables seems to have changed since yesterday. When I try to type in the weight of an item on my phone (android) it doesn't allow me to delete the previous value, only type new characters.

Am I doing something wrong? The new slider works but is far too sensitive to get the value I need on my touchscreen.

Thanks

Hi, more feedback on this change from me.

The input screen for editing fermentables seems to have changed since yesterday. When I try to type in the weight of an item on my phone (android) it doesn't allow me to delete the previous value, only type new characters.

Am I doing something wrong? The new slider works but is far too sensitive to get the value I need on my touchscreen.

Thanks
Same here. Interface seems broken on Android using Chrome browser.

Sliders won't let me adjust less than 1% increments then I can't fix the numbers it comes up with. Can we have a disable (or delete) the sliders option? Feels a bit like someone got too carried away with web design over Xmas.

Does anyone from the web site read this forum, or is it just a place for us to vent to each other? I assumed it was the former, but that might be a bad assumption.

I used the main contact email form and they are looking at it.

Another issue in Safari. In metric, if any of the volume fields have a decimal value, it's covered up by the little arrows control.

See screen cap below. It should say 13.5.

Attachments

• mash.png
    mash.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 178
Using RB in the traditional way still works though, so I'm happy enough.

Oh well spoke too soon. I can't use the delete or backspace button to remove/edit digits from weight fields, they reset to 0.00. Its my custom is to modify weights by small bits or if I have a typo moment i.e. If I input 2759 by mistake and I meant to input 2750, I would use the backspace to delete the 9 and then type a 0. Now I have to input the whole number again. In my case this would make the editor more clunky and less user friendly.

It's getting better. :) I'm still not sure what this update was supposed to fix.

The input fields (like for the amounts of grain or water) now have little up/down arrow but they increment and decrement in 1/100ths (which is useless and annoying) and the backspace key no longer works for editing the contents. And switching between ounces and pounds does not convert.

I'm afraid to try metric units.

It was working just fine a few hours ago.
Yes, the new UI looks pretty, but doesn't add functionality and clutters up the screen. I would like to see corrections in some of the calculations like PBG (my own personal, rant) that should be simple to fix since it's just arithmetic. One UI change I would like to see, if that is the emphasis at this time, is the ability to insert a mash step.

Yes, the new UI looks pretty, but doesn't add functionality and clutters up the screen. I would like to see corrections in some of the calculations like PBG (my own personal, rant) that should be simple to fix since it's just arithmetic. One UI change I would like to see, if that is the emphasis at this time, is the ability to insert a mash step.

The the UI to this forum has changed so that you cannot cancel a reply. If you come back it's still there and appends another copy of the previous message. A simple cancel button would be nice.

Now that I think about it, my #1 request would be to undo the attenuation algorithm in the recipe UI. It's fine to have a default (based on the average for the yeast?), but to base it on one of the mash steps is ridiculous. If someone puts in a custom attenuation, the FG should be based on simple math. ThE UI should not

This page threw an error and posted my incomplete reply. What is going on? Are errors being handled? Please, please don't make me look into new software.

My last sentence in the above message should say: The UI should not override the specified custom attenuation. (Or it's not "custom" is it?)

This page threw an error and posted my incomplete reply. What is going on? Are errors being handled? Please, please don't make me look into new software.

My last sentence in the above message should say: The UI should not override the specified custom attenuation. (Or it's not "custom" is it?)
Can't speak of your errors...they do occur periodically.
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I still have the option of editing my posts. I have an edit button in the lower left corner of the dialog box. I checked on a post I made last night and still have the option to edit. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not.

**edit**
I've also got the option to delete a post. Even from last night which in my experience is pretty unusual for a forum. Typically, if allowed at all, a time frame is set for deleting a post. Most times, that time frame is not more than 1/2 an hour.

Back