Ingredient validation

Hobbes

Trial Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to tell while viewing a recipe if i have enough total ingredients to work without going to the brew store. Maybe toggling an icon that gives a thumbs up/down or green/red next to ingredients to signal if they're present. Showing all ingredients in the deduction page when clicking 'brew' would also be nice. Then perhaps a view that shows just missing ingredients so I can print a shopping list (only yeast, or yeast and 1oz of this/that).

When i click brew I do have the option to deduct from inventory. It will list ingredients that I have, how much will be used and the new resulting qty. However; any ingredients that I do not have are not listed. So i have to figure out what's missing and write it down for a quick trip to the store.

Someone else made a very similar request not to long ago. He wants to see what he can brew based on what he has. I don’t use the inventory functions of the site, but if I did, I’d use a feature like what you describe for sure.

I'd like to see this feature, too. I was dabbling around with building my own application based on BeerXML primarily for analytics. I ended up reinventing the wheel too much on some other features, but that was because I wanted to see basically this feature. I have a spreadsheet I was using that showed ingredients in one column, brews in the top row, and a red or green cell showing the net amount in the "brew plan". The big problem I had there was that I had to keep the inventory synced between Brewer's Friend and the spreadsheet, which was time consuming and error-prone.

The other big feature I wanted was the ability to deduct more than one instance of the same ingredient in the deduction view, sorted by their respective age in the inventory (I like to make sure I'm not using really old grain, and found it hard to track with certainty how much would be left, that I'd want to use, at that granular of a level when there was one entry per ingredient in the inventory).

Back