Create recipe by % of grain!

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
Finally, we've been able to roll out something we've wanted for a long time. You can create your recipe by the percentage of the grist now.

When you go into the recipe, and put in, say, 10 pounds of two row and 1 pound of flaked maize, you can use the "slider" to change the amounts to 80% of two row and 20% of corn, or anything else you'd like.

Try it- see how you like it!

If you have more than 2 grains and move a slider to say 80% when you move a second slider it changes the first slider so you are in a loop of slider editing....i.e. it does not appear to be working as intended. With a complex grain bill this is just infuriating.

I would have thought that the point of editing a %age of grain would be to specify a total grain weight and a percentage of each grain (by entering fixed numbers). Then you could alter the total grain weight and preserve the percentages. The current slider mechanism doesn't provide that ability as you still have to edit (at least) the base grain weight then readjust all the sliders. I'm not sure this feature has been properly thought through.

It also seems to have broken the recipe editor on mobile devices:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...e-edit-recipe-ui-please-stop.7570/#post-48693

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/problem-editing-values-in-safari-ios.7571/

Last edited:
Also, you can no longer edit the weight of a fermentable without using the up and down arrows. I didn't quite hit the period, so ended up with 73 pounds of pilsner malt on a recipe with no way to delete the three and add a period.

There should be an option to set the total weight of grain in the bill, then calculate or set percentages on individual fementables off of that.

I'd also like to see an option to scale a recipe up while maintaining percentages. I have a couple recipes I'd like to raise the ABV on slightly while maintaining ratios.

EDIT: I just made some edits to hop additions and had the same results. Wasn't able to delete an entry in the amount field without deleting the whole addition.

Last edited:
Whilst your fixing the bugs please reinstate the expand/contract arrow. If you accidentally touch the slider it changes all of the weights for all the grains in the grist. Without an undo button there is no way to put them all back without typing them all back in....

Yeah, while the sliders do look nice, it would be nice to just have the simple option to plug in the % you want...and not have the other values change...

Yeah, while the sliders do look nice, it would be nice to just have the simple option to plug in the % you want...and not have the other values change...
And then have a box that shows amount remaining and then you can spread out / distribute the amount remaining to your choosing.

I used to do percentage recipes all the time with the old interface. It was easy. (not so easy now because the conversions from ounces to pounds doesn't work anymore. I assume that will come back when the other bugs are fixed)

Example: (a Kentucky Common recipe I'm working on)
73 ounces American 2-row malt
23 ounces Grits
2 ounces UK Black Patent
2 ounces American C120

(do you see the percentages in there?) Now play with the fermentor volume until I get the OG that I want (3.something gallons), then use the Scale Recipe tool to convert everything to the batch size I want.

This would be very nice to be able to enter volume of batch, and then be able to enter grain by percentage. I know another recipe app that works that way.

**EDIT** I see now the goal button to enter the OG goal that will then adjust your percentages.

just not sure I see the purpose of this. if I want a recipe that is:

10lbs two row
2lbs munich
1lbs black malt

then how does it benefit me to have sliders? if the assumption is that I only want 13lbs of grain so the slider will decrease the first two if I increase the 3rd one. what has this accomplished? it hasnt made the OG remain the same, because the SG of each grain will effect it. my overall yield will not remain the same.

there is no way to change one slider and not have it effect all the other ones. ultimately you are chasing your tail.

10lbs two row
2lbs munich
1lbs black malt

then how does it benefit me to have sliders? if the assumption is that I only want 13lbs of grain so the slider will decrease the first two if I increase the 3rd one. what has this accomplished? it hasnt made the OG remain the same, because the SG of each grain will effect it. my overall yield will not remain the same.

there is no way to change one slider and not have it effect all the other ones. ultimately you are chasing your tail.
The original post is from 2018...I've never seen sliders in the recipe calculator, so I doubt it's a current feature

The original post is from 2018...I've never seen sliders in the recipe calculator, so I doubt it's a current feature
lol, not the first I havent notice this. :oops:

guess they never did get it to work.

10lbs two row
2lbs munich
1lbs black malt

It would need to stay a % of PPG and not % of weight, for that very reason. That's how recipe scaling works in most brewing software and community.

BUT I don't entirely buy it, as the flavor profile of 1 lb of black malt in your above example should really scale based on the concentration of that malt (Lb of grain per gallon of WORT product, NOT BEER volume, specialty grains flavor does not get impacted by efficiency in the same way that sugar extraction does). Then the Base malts should, again IMO, scale down accordingly to get to the intended OG.

Yes but this wasn't for scaling, as i understood it

ya I guess my thought based on other brew software is you put in 1lb for each grain you are going to use, then you tell it the desired OG, and then you can adjust the percentages and it will auto calculate/adjust the 1lb entries to meet your OG and ratios. Like if you enter 1lb 2row and 1 lb crystal and then said I Want an OG of 1.055 with 70% 2row and 30% Crystal it would then auto adjust the pounds to meet that OG using those ratios. A lot of recipes are written as ratios not actual weights. The goal option in Brewers friend works ok but it's missing the ability to adjust the percentages or ratio of each grain based on desired OG.

Back