Confusion over dry hop schedule in recipe

Co60

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, I started my very first batch this past weekend with some experienced friends helping. We're making the Trillium Inspired Pale Ale Clone. All is well so far and lots of bubbling today. The problem is how we're not agreeing on how to interpret the dry hop schedule. Both Columbus and Galaxy Hops show "4 days" in the Time column. One "adviser" says this means add them at 4 days and leave them in, another says add them at the end of fermentation, but only leave them in for 4 days, another says add them 4 days apart, etc, etc ... well you get the idea.

Any consensus for how to read this recipe from you wise folks? Thanks in advance.

Leroy

I take dry hop times to mean that's how long they stay in there. So 4 days to me means you're throwing them in there 4 days before you're packaging the beer. Or at the very least, leave them in there for 4 days and them pull them out. The whole point of dry hopping is to get the aroma so my thoughts are the closer to packaging you dry hop, the better.

I take dry hop times to mean that's how long they stay in there. So 4 days to me means you're throwing them in there 4 days before you're packaging the beer. Or at the very least, leave them in there for 4 days and them pull them out. The whole point of dry hopping is to get the aroma so my thoughts are the closer to packaging you dry hop, the better.
That explanation makes the most sense of all I've heard so far. Thanks for the help.

That makes sense and I'll probably start doing that myself as I was doing the opposite.

I mean others may have different thoughts on dry hopping but some suggest that dry hopping for too long can cause grassy flavors. I don't have enough experience dry hopping to say one way or the other though.

A more or less classic New England beer, needs a few dry hopping charges, the first one being during activate fermentation, at day 2-3. The second dry hop charge should be added prior to kegging/bottling.

The dry hop time should not be too long. I usually add hops at day 2-3 of fermentation and again after 5 days. Leave them in for3-5 days and cold crash and then bottle.

The beer is ready at day 7 in the bottle and the same schedule applies to kegging.

A NEIPA style beer should be ready quick and consumed even quicker. :D

Back