Gravity and ABV Calculation with Fruit addition to secondary

Brewer #64269

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a cherry vanilla porter where i added 8lbs of cherries to the secondary. After two days i noticed my airlock bubbling and noticed increase in specific gravity. Is there a way in brewers friend to add and track fermentable sugars when added after the initial fermentation?

I don't think so. Just the late addition option in the fermentables. I then add a note in the note section.

I am brewing a cherry vanilla porter where i added 8lbs of cherries to the secondary. After two days i noticed my airlock bubbling and noticed increase in specific gravity. Is there a way in brewers friend to add and track fermentable sugars when added after the initial fermentation?
Try adding the cherries as a fermentable and mark it as a late addition.

Reactions: J A
Yeah, it won't do that for multiple reasons. The sugar derivative of whatever cherry you're using could vary, especially depending of how you added it, for example, whole, crushed, pureed, and the like. The yeast will attack for sure, but your style of adding it to the fermenter will greatly change how it "ferments" out in the finished beer. Kind of like the difference between adding a whole cherry that will provide some limited saccharides, and something broken down that's easily fermentable. Hope that makes sense.

Back