I brewed today!

I was going to brew a Kentucky Common today but decided to go with something more south of the border...a Vienna Lager.

66% Briess Vienna Malt
33% Briess Munich 10L

FWH w/ Perle
Perle at 20 min. followed by a whirlpool of Saaz (30 total IBU's)

1.053 OG

Pitched 34/70 just an hour ago.

I was going to brew a Kentucky Common today but decided to go with something more south of the border...a Vienna Lager.

66% Briess Vienna Malt
33% Briess Munich 10L

FWH w/ Perle
Perle at 20 min. followed by a whirlpool of Saaz (30 total IBU's)

1.053 OG

Pitched 34/70 just an hour ago.

I can feel the breeze as the palm trees sway...
Oh, no that's the heater in the brewery blowing past the Christmas tree.
Sometimes the simplest malt bill comes out the best.

One of the best professional brewers I know had the following simple rule: No more than five grains, no more than three hops. And I tend to follow the "less is more" philosophy. My last Vienna was 100% Vienna and Tettnanger. Came out yummy.

Yes i want to do this especially after that brulosophy exbeeriment now im not sure weather to do all vienna or light munich:rolleyes:.

Yes i want to do this especially after that brulosophy exbeeriment now im not sure weather to do all vienna or light munich:rolleyes:.
Depends on whether you want Austrian or Mexican. Austrian, 100% Vienna and some Sauermalz for pH control. Tettnanger or Hallertau, your choice, I suppose you could even go with Styrian Goldings for the hops. Mexican, add the Munich. In fact, use some dark Munich. Corn (Maize) if you'd like. Bitter with anything, finish with a Noble hop. For the Mexican version, the maize would improve the "drinkability".

One of the best professional brewers I know had the following simple rule: No more than five grains, no more than three hops. And I tend to follow the "less is more" philosophy. My last Vienna was 100% Vienna and Tettnanger. Came out yummy.
I saw the same thing said about making sausage (my other hobby). Don’t use too many herbs and spices.

I dont think ive made a beer myself with over 5 differnt malts in the grist and more than 3 hops. Start simple and if needs be tweek from there.

Depends on whether you want Austrian or Mexican. Austrian, 100% Vienna and some Sauermalz for pH control. Tettnanger or Hallertau, your choice, I suppose you could even go with Styrian Goldings for the hops. Mexican, add the Munich. In fact, use some dark Munich. Corn (Maize) if you'd like. Bitter with anything, finish with a Noble hop. For the Mexican version, the maize would improve the "drinkability".
Or go 50/50 vienna munich mmmm and flavour with Mittlefruh to around 25ibu

Or go 50/50 vienna munich mmmm and flavour with Mittlefruh to around 25ibu
Mine would be 60% Vienna, 15% Maize, 25% Munich, split between light and dark. That's three malts, one adjunct, still within Bill's Rules. For hops, I'd bitter with Magnum, finish with Tettnanger. But nothing wrong with 50/50 and no Maize!

Brewing the Ky Common today - so far so good! Numbers are looking good, I'm chilling it now.

Brewing the Ky Common today - so far so good! Numbers are looking good, I'm chilling it now.
Just looked up the description on a Kentucky Common and it sounds very interesting to my taste. Do you have a shared recipe or a recommended clone Nosybear?

Look for "Hilltopper's Pride Kentucky Common " I think it's public. If not it will be soon.

Brewing my Mango Lasi Saison as per past recipie only adding 4 pureed mangoes at 10 min may be a lot of losses with this one. On track ATM

I’m brewing a simple lager today, double malt, double hop. My tap water is 52°. Chilling should be a snap, probably go from boiling to 68° in 3 minutes! Certainly no more than 4 minutes.

Will be brewing tomorrow in the garage at 5:00 am. Thanks be to the brew gods for 140,000 btu propane burner! Should be around 8 degrees (F) when we start.

Will be brewing tomorrow in the garage at 5:00 am. Thanks be to the brew gods for 140,000 btu propane burner! Should be around 8 degrees (F) when we start.
That's a little on the cold side!!!

It’s not the cold, it’s the early!!

Well the saison has begun to bubble this morning already. I smashed my numbers but i didnt acount for extrA point or two from mangoes. Expected og wad 1.044
Actual SG was 1.050 looking forward to some more mangoe in a glass.

Ill leave sasion yeast at 21c for two days then set temp.to 26 max and let it go.

I was at 86° at the 3 minute mark. One more minute got me to 70°. Close enough for me!! I whipped up quite a froth by stirring. Makes reading the hydrometer a little difficult.

Trialben, I picked up a saison from Steve at Hoppydays while I was in Brisbane. I will try a saison in the next couple of brews.
I also picked up my bulk buys, a bag each of Gladfields US Ale, Wheat and Crystal and a bag of MO. Some specialties, and a few other odds and ends including hops.
I should have enough to last me for the next six months until another bulk buy.
I kegged a double batch of Sierra Nevada yesterday and brewed a double of Stone and Wood.
Oh and while I was in Brisvegas I picked up a 2.6 CO2, regulator and two Keg King kegs quite reasonably. So all in all a worthwhile trip

Raining here at the moment so I am browsing flea bay for components to upgrade my brew control panel/

Back