Sierra Nevada has their Pale Ale recipe on their website

Does that change the process any or just the calculation? I'm not sure how you wouldn't boil them.

I'm really done brewing for the year - a few to bottle but that's about it. I will do the Sierra Nevada clone early next year, though! Still on a quest for a really good pale ale....

I'm heading out today to get the ingredients. Here are screen shots of my BrewTarget recipe- it gets pretty close using my equipment parameters. Switching the 30 min. hop addition from 'boil' to 'aroma' brought the IBUs from 70-something down to 36.2. I'll be using WLP001 and adding a Whirlfloc @ 30 min.

View attachment 2237 View attachment 2238

Quick FYI: Boiling Whirlfloc too long denatures it - you don't get its benefit. I find adding it at about 10 minutes works best.

BrewTarget doesn't have a setting for what some call 'flavor' additions, something longer than aroma but less than a full boil. So I'm using the aroma setting with 30 min. timing, which should give me roughly 17% utilization on that addition.

I'm really done brewing for the year - a few to bottle but that's about it. I will do the Sierra Nevada clone early next year, though! Still on a quest for a really good pale ale....

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/pacific-wonderland-lager/#homebrew
This is one you would like. I am not huge on over hopped lagers from the west coast but this is an excellent balance of crisp clean malt and crisp(for lack of other words)hops. This would do well as an ale also I think. Its on my to do list.

What would the benefit be of using 2 different hops for 60 minutes? Surely any flavour and aroma is gone and all that is left is bitterness when boiled for that long. Or is it a case of tuning the bitterness?

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question. I'm still quite new to this.

perl is spicy and has a different bitterness than magnum but I don't use it that way in mine anyway I add the perl later

NathanUK, there are no dumb questions- we're all learning every day.

I like to think of using hops in beer as using ingredients in a food recipe. Each one adds something to the finished product, and hops contribute not only bitterness but flavor as well. Think of white table sugar vs. brown sugar- both add sweetness but different flavors.

Besides, that's what Sierra Nevada's recipe calls for, and who better to know?

So it is all about tuning the bitterness and flavour.

I knew late additions contributed greatly to hop flavour and aroma and mixing different varieties allows you to get the flavour you desire, but wasn't sure about those added at the start of the boil.

Thanks.

I'm a huge SNPA fan. I've tried several clones and gotten some nice PA's, but not SN. I think you could get there for sure if you played with a recipe enough to match your system and brewing style. My problem is, I get tired and bored of brewing the same thing over and over. Ha, funny thing is, after I hit perfection...I'd probably never brew it again. Mission accomplished!
I do tend to use the same base pale ale recipe and just play with and change up the hop bill.

I'm a huge SNPA fan. I've tried several clones and gotten some nice PA's, but not SN. I think you could get there for sure if you played with a recipe enough to match your system and brewing style. My problem is, I get tired and bored of brewing the same thing over and over. Ha, funny thing is, after I hit perfection...I'd probably never brew it again. Mission accomplished!
I do tend to use the same base pale ale recipe and just play with and change up the hop bill.
I'm with you, brother! I'll brew the Sierra Nevada clone just to get ideas, I like Sierra Nevada but it has in my humble opinion some flaws - the first sip tends to be harsh to me, particularly if served too cold is one example. But if I can get close to it, I can tweak it to my taste.

Ive been brewing that beer for at least 6 years I have it down, you'll be disappointed if you go by the website

Pale Ale is a style I love and struggle with. So if I can find a good starting point, I'll take it.

Well, I decided to use Ozark's recipe, and it turned out well! Remarkably similar all the way around. A is mine, B is Sierra Nevada from bottle.
Mine is a bit less clear, a little more head, and might need a little more carbonation- my wife says mine is a little "creamier".

I'm stumped about the clarity though. I used a Whirlfloc tab in the final 15 min. and 5 days in the secondary. Any suggestions?

IMG_8438.JPG
IMG_8439.JPG

it should clear up over time, dry hopping does both add a creamy texture and clouds up the beer, once the dry hops drop it will be better

also the water and yeast attenuation has a lot to do with texture or mouthfeel

Looks spot on beerbelly! Ah whats a bit of haze if it tastes better! You could try gelatin too that seems to give me fairly good results. If you keg just mix sume up 1/2 cup 80c water 1/2 teaspoon geletin mix till dissolved and pitch this into your keg.

Back